Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Special battery pack

Xergix

A big problem for a detectorist is the consumption of batteries, alkaline batteries are expensive and polluting, most are used as rechargeable NiMH batteries, but have a voltage of 1.3 volts at full load, 0.2 less than the alkaline and then charging indicator of metal detectors, often starts with a point less than alkaline.
I found myself recovering a lithium ion battery pack from a laptop computer, 2.4 amps 4.2 volts per cell at full charge, equal to three batteries 12.6 volts, the problem is how do you put inside the battery pack metal, often look around to find the solution,
I work in IT and use tapes for data backup, the box of an old model of 8 mm tape I solved the problem, it came perfectly inside the battery compartment on my MXT, but also in all models including White's V3 , dimensions are 68 x 102 x 19 mm.
Also need a piece of PCB, two thumbtacks, a fuse 0.250 A, double-sided tape, insulated copper wire, four miniscrews.
The exact size of printed circuit boards are made by putting on the battery pack and draw the line.
The box must be changed because the batteries are slightly higher, you must cut a portion of the bottom with a knife, the box is fixed with double sided tape and four microscrews, the battery pack weighs over 95 grams less than the original batteries included.
Anyway, just look at the pictures to understand how to assemble everything.
I put a fuse and batteries should be fixed with some glue.
Regarding the battery pack of minelab explorer II , it is a little more complicated, the point of contact of the battery pack must be constructed by gluing with epoxy sectors of vetronite properly constructed, so the coupling of the battery pack.
All this will not be a final draft but an idea on how to do, everyone can use what he considers best, the goal is to have something that works, since using these battery packs I've had no problems, sometimes i forget when I put the last battery pack on the metal detector and this is no small thing.

White's battery pack and my pack.

2lk9r2q.jpg

The tape

w15g6g.jpg

The open box and LiIon batteries

20gcuth.jpg

Detail of open box

2nukfnm.jpg

Detail of contacts

33fanuu.jpg

Below

j5h1jl.jpg

Battery pack of Explorer II and my pack.

6ixi81.jpg

Detail of head

14o0pg.jpg

Again

2cdtws6.jpg

Back

24nlieh.jpg

Below

2jg7506.jpg

Detail of contacts

ereblt.jpg

I hope to be helpful, however we must be careful to avoid doing damage to your metal detector, to respect the polarity of the connections, the lithium ion batteries can be dangerous if used improperly.

Good job.

Xergix

i5eus

Gives me some ideas, i'm just about to put lipos in an old Sov XS