Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spiegel Token

carneygeorge

I was at an old farm today and found this sorry the picture is not clearer. It is a token from Spiegel company Chicgo. It says Preferred Customer on the front with the number 26447. On the back it has Someones name with a date 1938. Anyone ever found one of these?? HH George in Colorado

:|Spiegel's was a mail order warehouse. It's about 6 blocks from my house.
As a matter of fact, spiegels is the place that Lee Harvey Oswald purchased the rifle that was used in the Kennedy Assasination. The token you have used to be attached to a large canvas USP bag. At the rear of the spiegel warehouse there used to be giant piles of these bags (and I'm talking two storie piles). The bags were used to put packages in for postal delivery. As a kid, I used to take bags and sell them as laundry bags! the token tags were attached to the bag for quick identification when delivered. Some bags contained several packages to the same purchaser and made it easier to deliver all at once instead of sorting individual packages at each delivery stop. No postal scanners back then. sorting was done by hand and placed in a bag and the PO charged by the pound weight of the bag and not individual packages.
I used to have a bunch of those token tags and use them in my bottle cap shooter. You guy's remember those don't you? The shooter was made of a stick about 24 to 30 inch's long with a rubberband attached at one end and streched to the other end where there was a clothes pin that would hold the bottle cap or "token-tag" and rubberband in place. then you would aim and press the clothes pin to catapult the cap or tag.
Brings back good memories playing combat with my little pals.
Thanks.
Rusty in Chicago.