Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Square nails?

dmgadway

Can anyone tell me when square nails became obsolete and round nails became in common use? I would like to know so I have some idea of the ages of some sites. Thank You. Dave.

Round, or wire, nails came into common use about 1900. Here is a website link that provides a great quick reference to the history of nails: http://www.uvm.edu/histpres/203/nails.html :bouncy:

- Tioga

I owned a house on the edge of Richmond VA which was built in 1926 ...and by the time I came along, it needed a lot of rehabilitation. The walls-studs (which actually measured a FULL 2 inches by 4 inches) had been put in place with square nails. But the interior door-trim of every room's door had round-nails. All the baseboards had square-nails. So in 1926, houses in a state capital city were still being constructed using a MIX of lots of square and lots of round nails.

By the way, you may find this interesting:
The very old lady who lived nextdoor told me her husband and brother had built my 1926 house. She said they ordered ALL the materials (floor & wall lumber, nails, siding-borads, trim, pipes, tin roofing, etc etc) as a UNIT from the Sears & Roebuck Mail Order Catalog. It showed a picture of a completed house with one catalog item number ...order that item (the house) and you'd get all the materials needed to construct it, as a package-deal. So, clearly, Sears was supplying extremely large quantities of square-nails for home construction purposes in 1926.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy [PCGeorge]

There are 2 kinds rose head and machine cut , Thomas jefferson started the machine style, the rose head hense the name looks more like a mushroom head by the blows it took dating it to the 1700s