Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Squirrel found this under an oak tree

Aurium

Found this on a brief hunt in the morning. It's stamped 925 on the inside of the ring, which as far as I can tell means it's a silver ring. The stones in it are pretty
but the jury is out on whether they're real or not. (will take a bit more cleaning to see) The mount is pierced in the back but full of dirt so the stones don't shine as much as they would w/out the dirt.

The V3 is really making some nice finds for me. Todays hunt; D2, HiPro and the ring rang in at a VDI of 53, thought I was digging a penny.

Cool..... If you turn it so its on its side it may ring in lower than if it is flat. Can you try that and let everyone know what it reads, and which frequency it hits on the best?

Forgot to add this picture, have to give the little machine some accolades. (ring is fresh out of the ground in this picture)

burlbark said:
Cool..... If you turn it so its on its side it may ring in lower than if it is flat. Can you try that and let everyone know what it reads, and which frequency it hits on the best?

I guess thats a no....:drinking:

burlbark said:
burlbark said:

I guess thats a no....:drinking:

Nope it's one of those occasions where I had to wait until I got out of work to put it in the ground and try to take a couple pictures.

So the pictures may be a little imperfect, but I think they show what you were curious about.

First two illustrate the ring laying flat in about 1 inch of soil which is what it was found in. Dominant 2.5. I also did the signagraph with it flat and I think it shows well enough that you can see what I saw. Then I put the ring vertical in the soil and you can see the signagraph for that as well. It was still dominant 2.5, but pinpointing was very different, in fact it pinpointed approximately 3 inches to the left of the target. I tried it several times, and got the same results. So this might be an occasion where pinpointing is off due to how small the target is when on edge. (it's exposing far less area to the coil)''

VDI when flat ran 53-60, VDI when on edge really varied a lot but bounced 50 - 60 or so..lots and lots of bouncing around. So it's what I would define as an iffie target on edge. Which so far for me..means..DIG IT.

Awesome..... Thank You:thumbup:

The VDI is surprising on a silver ring like that. They usually hit much higher. Thank GOD for 3 frequencies to analyze with.

Hi Aurium......Interesting ring find that reads with 2.5 kHz as the dominant frequency, so I am curious about its metal/alloy contents.

The 'side on' analysis further compounds matters, almost like the response of an item containing a degree of 'Fe'....nickle?

The 'just out of the ground' picture, shows staining on the metal....another clue?

Regarding pin-pointing when such an item or coin is vertical in the ground.

Those situations will always produce an 'off center' indication.

The approximate offset being dependent on depth and the size of coil used.

The offset is usually about equal to HALF the width of the search-head.

If you try pin-pointing a target from say 90 degrees to the previous pin-point, then a 'vertical' target's location should vary,giving you a clue to its 'attitude'.

A good find, and one that will stimulate some investigation and interesting comments I hope.

This type of find proves the functional value of the ANALYSIS screen as an informative tool, especially if you compare the 'In air' picture with that of the item buried at various depths in soils with differing amounts of Fe mineralisation.

.....TheMarshall.

Hi Marshall, the alloy as far as I can tell appears to be sterling silver. The staining is primarily soil sticking to it, the ring did appear to have a plating process used on it but there is no corrosion per se that would lead me to think it's a ring with some other metal as it's primary alloy. (it is marked 925 on the inside of the ring, and from what I have researched that is a standard sterling silver mark) Thanks for the comments, and it has been a learning process for me, and it's the second ring within a weeks time. I've never really focused on rings/jewelry, one of those bycatch situations while I"m looking for older coins. The last ring I found (posted on here earlier) came in with a nice nickel response. One thing I have learned about nickles is 17-21 seems to be a diggable range with occasional can slaw coming up frequently, but the balance being nickles. (V3 is a nickle magnet in my opinion) I'm finding LOTS of nickles in "hunted out" spots.

I like Hi Pro. Thats what I run on the BigFoot now.

Nice Ring!

HH
Mike

At the very beginning I started thinking that the VDI number and dominate frequency were related. Middle range VDI are always 7.5 kHz dominate, low range VDI are always 22.5 kHz dominate, an Hi Range VDI are always 2.5 kHz dominate. If that was the case, the dominate frequency wouldn't be very useful as it would be tied to a VDI number. But as I've recovered more items I find it is not so. I have found middle range VDI that are 22.5 kHz dominate and middle range VDI that are 2.5 kHz dominate.

This ring find is another good example of frequency being independant of VDI and it is what one would really expect of this feature. Small silver will read lower on the conductive scale, as does this ring, yet it still shows 2.5 kHz as the dominate frequency, which is what you would expect it to.

HH
Mike