Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stability help needed.

xterranomore

If I'm hunting a nicely kept lawn and want to limit my digs to "sure" things; what's the best way to limit the chatter/iron falsing and settle the machine down. I'm not worried about depth as this is a newer house site.

Try lowering your sensitivity until it quiets down. Otherwise, if you are hunting in Iron Mask try detecting in the Coins program instead.

Some other ways would be by running reasonable sensitivity using auto sensitivity. You could reduce your gain as well.... it would cut back on those weak signals and give you modulation allowing you to know the target is closer to the surface. Even a slight increase in threshold reduces weak signals. Only dig repeatable targets the Exp has great TID on targets down to say 6 inches. Even factory settings is a good option.

Dew

Dave, Steve and Dew....... this was a good question about how to limit the chatter/iron falsing and settle the machine down; all the points the three of you have made are excellent, thank you fro sharing. Now, if only I can remember them when I'm hunting and need to settle my machine down a bit. I never think about reducing the gain and changing the threshold.

I need a new fresh brain so I can retain all the information and call it back to memory when I need it :nerd:

But I'm learning, little bit here and a little bit there. Bout the time I get the SE Pro down pat it will be time to trade up which is what I did with the Safari.....

Don

Don --

I personally don't feel there's a whole lot to "trade up to!" :) I think by the time you get the SE Pro down pat, you'll be digging so much silver your brain won't have time to THINK of switching detectors! :)

Seriously, though, sensitivity, to me, is one of the more important adjustments. Once you learn what falses sound like, and are pretty confident that you know what a false is, and what a "good" high tone is, then it's a good idea IMO to get a sense for the ground, and how "active" the iron is, each time you hunt -- and then keep the SE sensitivity BELOW where the falsing is too much to handle FOR YOU. Different guys can tolerate different amounts. But, what you will probably find is that even in the same site, a sensitivity level that was "comfortable" for you on one day, when soil was dry, will be "ridiculous" on another day after a big rain, when soil is wet. Unstable Explorer usually means you are running too hot for conditions. All the other suggestions here have merit too -- and you can employ them. But I think sensitivity is numero uno...

Steve