Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stage Coach Stop 2017-02-24

Fish N Chips

With the break in the weather I headed up to my old stage coach stop. I wanted to find one of the other structures on the property, and I was successful in finding a new section to hunt. It is a large area and I still have several more spots to find on it as I move from nail bed to nail bed. It burned down in 1901 so most the items show fire damage, but that is half the history!

I used my Tesoro Eldorado with the 8" coil for a while but soon went to my Teknetics T2 Classic to really play with the settings and coils in the nails and see what worked best and what I could get away with, without loosing too many targets. The nails are all cut square nails and are thick, most holes have 4-6 nails in them. My NEL sharp shooter actually outperformed my 5" coil today in the nails, well it found more items for me anyways with both having about the same hunt time and the in same 10x10 foot spot I had flagged off. I am not sure why as the 5" coil usually is my go to in spots like this. I ended up using sensitivity 40, Discrim 24, and tones 3. This really made the good targets stand out. Any higher sensitivity made the nails false too much in the wet soil and most targets are only 2-4" deep.

My best finds were an embossed cuff link/button, a 3 penny weight scale weight and scale bar right by it, pocket watch parts, a thimble, a nice wrench which I hope to clean up and maybe get working again for my tool collection, a buckle, harmonica case, and some silverware. I got a couple decorative broaches or buckles, but they are a bit burned and melted. I found a pile of accordion or reed organ reeds and several old casters. I actually was digging some iron overloads to clean the site, and made some great iron finds. Just typical late 1800s forged items, horse shoes and tools but stuff I really like. I enjoy not digging all the modern trash.

It was nice to get out but is already raining and snowing again. I go in for hand surgery next month on both hands, and will be out of service for 6-8 weeks, so hope to get out a couple more times before then.

20170224_190904_zpsldsr8cuz.jpg

20170224_190943_zpsdjqkzz70.jpg

Some very nice finds,those 2 coils are my favourite on really trashy sites,the SharpShooter has been my main every day use coil and the 5'' is used when the conditions get very bad,for its size it really can give some good depth,plan on going out later on today for a few hours if the rain stops,but tomorrow will be very near a very old 'iron agefort' site,we are not allowed on it as its a scheduled site,but we can detecting in the next field right upto the edge of the site,alot of history covering about 3000 years on this land.And the weather looks good as well.