Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Starter Detector/ Classic 4?

A

Anonymous

Greetings, I am wanting to get my almost 14 year old son into the hobby. I am considering the Classic 4 which is right at $300 through Kellyco, which is in the range that I want to spend on a beginning detector. Please chime in with your experience with that machine or opinions as to this choice for a beginner. Thanks!

it comes with a 950 coil as standard issue and that might be on the large size for most newcomers. It would depend upon the type of detecting they are going to be doing, but since most hobbyists are coin hunters, and since some coin hunting is done in trash infested sites, a better coil size would be 8" or smaller.
The Classic 4 is essentially the former Classic II. A simple yet very efficient 2-knobed, turn-on-and-go model without any Target ID. The only differences are that the Classic II and Classic ID came with an 8" coil as standard, and the Classic II didn't have any modern accessory coils available for it.
The Classic 4 and Classic 5-ID are special made for Kellyco with a slight modification from the former Classic series so that they operate at about 8.1 kHz and therefore use the same coils as the newer Prizm series.
The Prizm II, II, and IV come with an 8" coil, and the Prizm V comes with the 950 like the Classic 4 4is equipped with. At present, there are no other coils available for these models, however I was told that White's is working to address that shortage and is trying to develop a smaller-size search coil for the Prizm series.
You might want to consider a used model for your son, or perhaps a current Prizm model if you want him to have Target ID while staying in the price range you've established.
Personally, I like the Classic series physical designs with the rear-located headphone jack and the very long battery life. If he was going to be hunting more open areas for a while, such as a beach or maybe soccer, football or other sportsfields, or the larger open areas at parks, the Classic 4 w/950 would do just fine. Then, after a smaller coil is available, you could buy that and use it when hunting in trashier playgrounds and by picnic tables, etc.
I know how well the Classic 5-ID performed, because it retained all opf the excellent Classic series characteristics, to include the quick-response AND quick-recovery. The Classic 4 is the same way and would make a very good detector.
<EM><STRONG>Monte</STRONG></EM>

For $200 you can get him the Garret Ace 250. I can't believe all the good things I have heard about this machine and read a great review in the latest W+E Treasures. The guy who works with me just ordered one after seeing it at a hobby show. It has a LCD screen, discrim, different tones and some other things, also the depth is quite impressive. Don't get me wrong, I am brand loyal to the White's machines but for $200 it doesn't look like you can go wrong. I may get one for a back-up machine and I drive a DFX. Ron

YOU WILL GET MORE VERSATALITY AND A BLACK SAND SWITCH PLUS FREQ ADJ TO HUNT W/ OTHERS WITH OUT INTERFEARING ALSO USES SAME COILS AS XLT YOU CAN GET THE 5.3'' COIL FOR TRASHY AREAS!! JUST MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT THE CLASSIC 4 IS STILL A GOOD CHOICE!! HAPPY HUNTING!

Thanks for the input gents. I have a line on a gently used Classic III, what's the opinion on that model?

I HUNT ALONG SIDE MUCH MORE $$$$ DETECTORS MY BUDDIES USE WITHOUT FEELING OUT GUNNED!! I HUNT WET SALT SAND ALSO WITH GREAT RESULTS. HH