Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Starting to get fed up with V3i.... when on beach

ferdware

Now let me state, that I love my V3i (most of the time). But it seems most people use their V3i for relic hunting and only a few for beach hunting.
Most times at the beach I have NO problems. I get out on the beach, ground balance and off I go. BUT sometimes, like the past few days. My V3i just goes crazy. It will not ground balance(and if it does I have to GB every 5 feet) and is very unstable. I mean a constant beeping and chirping to the point where I just have to leave. I try to adjust everything I can to get it to stop with no luck. I have even had my RX as low as 2 and still it acts crazy.
It seems to do this when the wind is high or their is a thick feeling to the air, like it might rain
I feel that the many relic hunting users of the V3i have the settings figured out. BUT as far as beach hunting. I have yet to hear of anything other than "factory salt beach is fine". Is it because none of the beach users want to share what they have learned or because there are just not that many V3i owners hunting beaches.
Since 95% of my hunting is done at the beach. I sometimes feel that I may have purchased the wrong machine.
Just two weeks ago I met a few people at the beach who were using Minelabs. One was a Safari, the other a Sovereign. We dug a hole about 10" deep and tossed a coin in and left the coin unburied. Both of the other detectors could detect the coin. While my V3i could not. I had to crank up my RX and turn on the TX boost just to get a slight blip. I didn't understand why, because I once dug a penny in the dry sand at 24" deep.
I really, really wish that there was a few experienced beach hunters with the V3i to help us other guys out.
I feel that with the limitless setting adjustments the V3i can be a great beach hunter. But their are so many adjustments I just don't know sometimes what to try.
We need someone like Magic, Rob, or Larry who knows the machine to help figure out alternate beach settings that will work with stability.
Sometimes I feel like I have a good grip on how to set my V3i. Then there are those times like the past few days where I feel like I don't have a clue...

I should also mention that our beach has just went through a stripping and recovering process. Last week the tides had stripped the beaches a lot leaving many huge rocks showing, some had to be atleast 50 lbs. While this week the tides pushed all new sand up covering everything again. I know this because today I was digging a signal. I dug down about two feet and hit a huge piece of concrete that I remember seing on top last week. Could all this new sand be effecting my machine as well. If so what do I do.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

Ferd

Ferd, what beaches are you hunting on? I know the guys I keep in touch with have no problems with that depth on the Florida beaches and I have no trouble here in Texas. Once I get your information maybe I can help. Remember I'm still waiting for a modem. As far as the other detectors you mentioned you can see in my signature I have one and I don't think it is any better then my V3i on the beach.

Hi Rob, I'm glad to hear your opinion on the Minelab and V3i. That makes me feel a bit better.
I live in Myrtle Beach SC. Technically Garden City,
I also just added to the first post about the stripping of the beach if that tells you anything.

Ferd

Yes I have a coil cover, I remove it for cleaning after every hunt, and I have never had a problem with it before.

Ferd

Sounds like bad EMI .....try moving further down the Beach.....I have the V3I and GT, They both have there good and bad for Beach hunting.....

My setting that work great for me ....might be not so good for your Beach

The Beach hunters over in Florida crank up there sensitivity and do great in wet sand hunting with there VLF machines.

I must have my Sensitivity turn way down, and I only do OK in wet sand hunting, because of Black sand conditions, The PI Hunters walk all over me, so I stick to dry sand hunting 90% of the time

I would try a different Location

My question was the same as above about the coil cover. I had a problem which I thought was EMI and it may have been at home but when I got to the beach (Pensacola to be exact) I had the same issues.
I removed the coil cover just to see and the problem was solved.
I don't know why, I know it sounds crazy but it worked for me.
You may want to just try, it may work for you as well?

I'm a little reluctant to remove coil cover for hunting. Don't want my coil looking like my cover looks. I think its more of a salt or mineral content at beach. I'm thinking that the two feet of new sand that has been washed up in the past few days and possibly the weather might be a factor. Like I mentioned, it is only an occasional thing. One factor that I did notice every time it has happened was that the weather was more threatening on those days.
I was also reading the owners manual again. I think the next time this happens I will try the 12.5 Hz band and high pass. To see if there is a change.
With the endless controls of the V I'm sure it can be done. I just have to figure them out.

Ferd.

ferdware said:
I'm a little reluctant to remove coil cover for hunting. Don't want my coil looking like my cover looks. I think its more of a salt or mineral content at beach. I'm thinking that the two feet of new sand that has been washed up in the past few days and possibly the weather might be a factor. Like I mentioned, it is only an occasional thing. One factor that I did notice every time it has happened was that the weather was more threatening on those days.
I was also reading the owners manual again. I think the next time this happens I will try the 12.5 Hz band and high pass. To see if there is a change.
With the endless controls of the V I'm sure it can be done. I just have to figure them out.

Ferd.

Are you sure your coil is not going bad? Did you test your coil?

I had a real bad problem with EMI in a park that had a cell tower, and big electric lines nearby. When I used the freq offset it seemed to calm it down. I put it at offset +3 and I was able to hunt in 3 freq mode again. Maybe that would help?

You mentioned that it seems to act up when the wind is blowing or the air is thick. I once had a video camera that was useless at the shore, but once it was away for a few hours, it was fine.

Try taking your V3i to a more inland site when it starts acting up. If it still acts up for a while but then gets better as it dries out, it has a moisture problem.

Are you using a protective cover?

601-1155-b.jpg

ferdware said:
hiya ferde,,,have you tried switching frequency,,,had a similar problem with my Sov.g.t.,and left the beach twice over this ..until i remembered to flick freq. switch,,it worked,,,,try it,,that is if you have a one???
Now let me state, that I love my V3i (most of the time). But it seems most people use their V3i for relic hunting and only a few for beach hunting.
Most times at the beach I have NO problems. I get out on the beach, ground balance and off I go. BUT sometimes, like the past few days. My V3i just goes crazy. It will not ground balance(and if it does I have to GB every 5 feet) and is very unstable. I mean a constant beeping and chirping to the point where I just have to leave. I try to adjust everything I can to get it to stop with no luck. I have even had my RX as low as 2 and still it acts crazy.
It seems to do this when the wind is high or their is a thick feeling to the air, like it might rain
I feel that the many relic hunting users of the V3i have the settings figured out. BUT as far as beach hunting. I have yet to hear of anything other than "factory salt beach is fine". Is it because none of the beach users want to share what they have learned or because there are just not that many V3i owners hunting beaches.
Since 95% of my hunting is done at the beach. I sometimes feel that I may have purchased the wrong machine.
Just two weeks ago I met a few people at the beach who were using Minelabs. One was a Safari, the other a Sovereign. We dug a hole about 10" deep and tossed a coin in and left the coin unburied. Both of the other detectors could detect the coin. While my V3i could not. I had to crank up my RX and turn on the TX boost just to get a slight blip. I didn't understand why, because I once dug a penny in the dry sand at 24" deep.
I really, really wish that there was a few experienced beach hunters with the V3i to help us other guys out.
I feel that with the limitless setting adjustments the V3i can be a great beach hunter. But their are so many adjustments I just don't know sometimes what to try.
We need someone like Magic, Rob, or Larry who knows the machine to help figure out alternate beach settings that will work with stability.
Sometimes I feel like I have a good grip on how to set my V3i. Then there are those times like the past few days where I feel like I don't have a clue...

I should also mention that our beach has just went through a stripping and recovering process. Last week the tides had stripped the beaches a lot leaving many huge rocks showing, some had to be atleast 50 lbs. While this week the tides pushed all new sand up covering everything again. I know this because today I was digging a signal. I dug down about two feet and hit a huge piece of concrete that I remember seing on top last week. Could all this new sand be effecting my machine as well. If so what do I do.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

Ferd

Hi all,
I normally adjust the offset when this happens, but had no luck that time out.

Yes, I use a cover. I think its pretty cheap though. I may go back to using a large ziplock.

If it is a moisture problem do I need to send it in. Or is that something that will just happen.

I want to say thanks for the ongoing tips for this problem. It helps narrow down the cause and resolution.

Ferd

ferdware said:
Hi all,

Yes, I use a cover. I think its pretty cheap though. I may go back to using a large ziplock.

If it is a moisture problem do I need to send it in. Or is that something that will just happen.

Ferd

I don't think there is anything you can do if it is a moisture problem. Shore air can be VERY saturated. It is like using the V3i in a downpour. I wonder if other beach hunters have had the problem.

I have not done any beach detecting with my V3i, but with precious metal prices the way they are, it is not a bad thought.

Did you try changing to a small coil? what about -frequency adjust (negative), how about ground settings 12high filter can sometime reduce EMI. The great advantage of the V-3 is that it can be tweaked quite a bit, the only drawback is knowing where to start. The P.I's may walk over you in the wet but you can spank them on the dry sand (most of the time)
Get a water proof P.I for the wet sand you won't have to worry about swamping the V-3

next time this happens dig up what is sounding off. most times you will find can slaw or a large amount of foil pieces like candy wrappers or small foil pieces. do not give up on the v. just get to know what it is trying to tell you. strock

Ferd, I'm finally back on line. I'm sending you a PM.

i hear ya, on the beach things are just a pain in the a__ ! one tide can change things ,lock track is good but the v is doing something behind the scenes... i havent posted about this but when i use my dx1 probe at the beach 7 seconds or so later it goes unstable and a sweep in pinpoint fixes it...? and where is the manual g.e.b number screen? no vlf ive seen balances to my beach but the number fix makes for a predictable response . v is trackig in loctrac? any whites tech imput appreciated . pump the coil all day still whoops, on land 6 or 8 smooth.. wish i could help but im in the same boat you are. my old dfx would get funky when wet , use till funky bring home dry out . gl hh

OK all went to the beach.
Everything is back to normal. I believe it was moisture that was causing the problem.

I have noticed the same things. Such as as the sweep in pinpoint you mentioned. Today I was running the RX at 14 in the wet hardpan. It stayed stable for a while. Then I had to slowly turn it down.

Ferd