Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Starting to have my doubts

I recently purchased the Racer pro pack and I am beginning to be concerned about the durability of this machine. when I got it I put the machine together and all seemed well. Last sunday I took it out to a local school and as I switched the machine on the coil was flopping around so I tried to tighten the coil bolt and it snaped off. No big deal, I head to the local hardware store and pick up a plastic bolt and proceed to use the machine for an hour. All went well so I didn't give the coil bolt another thought. Well today I went out for about 30 min and I got down to dig a target and the coil flopped forward. When I pick the machine up both ears have broken off. Needless to say I have concerns.

that is cause for concern.others have said how well built they are but i thought my at pro was better built.i havent had any problems yet
i have my fingers crossed

happycamper08 said:
Does anyone know who to contact regarding this matter?

Contact Makro in their website, they will take care of it.

[size=large]For coils, I would contact the dealer and they can help you with it. I think the distributor has a few coils on hand for such things. Richard[/size]

I was removing my coil cover to clean between it and the coil and I cracked an ear by squeezing it.

I have three different size coils. The stock, small and large. The ears on the stock coil are thinner than the other two. They will not hold up. Now with that being said I CALLED metaldetector.com (the American distributor) and they sent a new coil out to me. They didn't want the old one back. GREAT customer service. But there will need to be a change in the thickness of the ears on the stock coil. By the way they had my record on file along with the dealer I used to make the purchase.

I'm guessing you are referring to the stock 11 x 7 coil on the Racer ?? Although the ears on mine have not cracked ( but haven't used it but less then an hour) Monte and i were sitting at a Jack in the Box when I finally got mine and we unpacked it there. I did make the comment to Monte that the ears on the 11 x 7 were thinner then the ears on the other coils. The 11 x 7 on my Fors Core are much thicker and they are placed more towards the center of the coil ( better balance). I wish Mackro would have just used the Fors CoRe 11 x 7 coil design. But if the ears on the Racer 11 x 7 coils become a problem, I'm sure Mackro will be changing the design. They act fast. As far as the machine I feel it's a very well built unit.

Well I'll be damned, I got out the coils to check the thickness of each, the 5.5 x 10, 4.7 x 5 and the 11 x 7. I put a finger on the ears of the 11 x 7 to feel the thickness, kinda liking pinching, it is bolted to a spare lower rod,
with the very slightest of pressure the left ear snapped completely off and the right ear snapped at the bolt hole. I suggest being very careful while bolting on the coil. I can see there is going to be some 11 x 7 coil problems in the future. Also it might be a case were a production run got some bad plastic. The ears on my 11 x 7 are/were very very brittle. The other two coils are fine and built like a tank.

which in this case is a simpler matter, I believe, but one that is more easily observed. It was noted from an early review by Gary in his UK review, that the hollow bolt could break. They are a different type bolt and nut design than what was used on the Nokta FORS Coin & Relic, and a little shorter in length as well. When Oregon Gregg was putting all his gear together, which included a couple of extra lower rods he had ordered for the extra coils, he tried mounting the small 'OOR' coil and noticed the bolt didn't fit all the way through to thread on the nut. It was the short, common-looking Makro bolt.

He used that bolt to mount his standard 7X11 DD coil, and had a longer, and much better designed, Nokta FORS bolt and nut to mount his other coils that have the thicker, sturdier ears. There have been a few people now who have experienced some operational issues with the standard 7X11 DD coil, and also some breakage of the two mounting ears on that same coil. That is due to the plastics used and the coil design with the thinner ears of different manufacture. There are no issues with the three Nokta FORS Coils I have, nor with the small 'OOR' coil or large 13.3X15.5 DD for the Racer, but those have the Nokta design and thickness.

So far I have not had any issues with the Nokta search coils or bolt & nut hardware, and the 2nd Racer I got came with the Nokta bolt & nut hardware. I did have two of the Makro standard-looking, hollow-type bolts break, and one was snugging it up when I first mounted my stock 7X11 DD and hadn't even put the rod on the detector to use it yet. I think I need to replace both my already broken bolt and the other with a Nokta type [size=small](with the more contoured nut shape and lever-type bolt)[/size] so I can use all the coils and not run into a break-down when afield.

As for the rest of the detector system, I haven't had any issues whatsoever when considering their rugged, durable design and quality of product other than the bolt breakage. So far, I haven't had a standard 7X11 Makro Racer coil break or fail to work properly, but it appears they do have that one issue to correct. The easy way would be to use the Nokta 7X11 DD coil.

tinusbum said:
that is cause for concern. others have said how well built they are but i thought my at pro was better built.i havent had any problems yet
I don't think you will have a problem with your Racer. Did yours come with a standard looking rod/coil mounting bolt [size=small](where the bolt head looks similar to the nut head)[/size], or did yours ship with the better Nokta bolt and nut [size=small](where the bolt is a little longer and has an excellent-designed level and the nut head is kind of contoured where you apply pressure)[/size]? If you have the Nokta bolt, then there shouldn't be a problem there.

The only thing to watch would be the stock 7X11 DD coil and any weakening or stress on the rod-mount ears. I properly work my search coils out-of-contact with the ground, I don't bang my coil into rocks, tress or hard objects, and I try not to lean on my detector and coil in such a way that it could stress the mounting ears from the side and cause breakage. Therefore, if I have any coil breakage it won't be from overly applied stress, it will just be from a too weak design.

If you didn't have any issues with your AT Pro, that is good. They didn't come without some problem of their own, either. The first one a dealer friend got in we unboxed to assemble for the display rack and to check it out and it didn't work. Faulty search coil, so we had to get another coil out of second AT Pro box. Some people had leakage problems with their waterproof AT Pro as well. Things can happen.

Compass used to have a lot of problems with their search coils with breaking dog ears on the coils, or failure from a capacitor in the inside electronics. Early Tesoro had coils that broke, cracking across the top of the coil from the mounting ears and had to change the whole design of the coil top and strengthen the ears.

I have never had a White's search coil break on me, physically, but I have had a number of them replaced or repaired that were out-of-spec, and one brand new 4" off the display room shelf at the factory, a new 950 out of the brand new Classic III box, and three brand new 10" D2 DD coils that were faulty, right from the start. In every case White's took care of the problem. Sometimes things happen, but as long as we deal with the dealer, distributor or manufacturer on a known issue, they should stand by their products be quick to satisfy their customers by repairing or replacing parts or equipment ass needed.

I see this quickly with the Nokta & Makro Detector folks, while still enjoying excellent detector and coil performance afield.

Monte

I know you haven't used your standard coil that much, and after reading this post then having the e-mail and phone call from you this morning, I double checked all of my Nokta and Makro coils and rod systems [size=small](as you know I keep all coils on their own lower rods)[/size]. Everything was just fine ... at first. I use the smaller 'OOR' coil the most, and the 5½X10 a close second, so the Racer 7X11 DD's are called into action less often, partly because that duty goes to my Nokta FORS CoRe w/7X11 mounted.

None of the mounting ears were broken and I didn't notice any cracks forming, but as I snugged the standard 7X11 for one Racer back on the lower rod the hollow Makro bolt cracked and broke off right at the nut. So now, all of my standard type Makro bolts have broken, but we knew early ion that was a design weakness they were dealing with. I'll just get some Nokta bolts and nuts to replace them, but so far, my standard coils are doing okay.

If they don't have an affordable redesign of the Makro 7X11 in the works I wish they would just use the Nokta 7X11 coil body and redo the coils for the Racer. It would also balance a little better, but for now I am not having a coil failure problem with any of the 7X11's.

Monte

Monte said:
tinusbum said:
that is cause for concern. others have said how well built they are but i thought my at pro was better built.i havent had any problems yet
I don't think you will have a problem with your Racer. Did yours come with a standard looking rod/coil mounting bolt [size=small](where the bolt head looks similar to the nut head)[/size], or did yours ship with the better Nokta bolt and nut [size=small](where the bolt is a little longer and has an excellent-designed level and the nut head is kind of contoured where you apply pressure)[/size]? If you have the Nokta bolt, then there shouldn't be a problem there.

The only thing to watch would be the stock 7X11 DD coil and any weakening or stress on the rod-mount ears. I properly work my search coils out-of-contact with the ground, I don't bang my coil into rocks, tress or hard objects, and I try not to lean on my detector and coil in such a way that it could stress the mounting ears from the side and cause breakage. Therefore, if I have any coil breakage it won't be from overly applied stress, it will just be from a too weak design.

Monte

i havent had any problems with my racer but i use all my equipment very gently.so far i only have the stock coil but i'm waiting for them to get the small coil in as i'm anxious to try it.heres a pic of my bolts,they sent 2 with the racer

Yep I got two sets also.

I also got two sets with each Racer I have as well as with my Nokta FORS CoRe. It was just today that I had another one of the Makro bolts, like you show in your photo, break when I snugged it up after checking one of my 7X11 Racer coils. I just put 'R3' together today using the standard Makro bolts and they snugged up fine, but ..... I did have some of the others break on me [size=small](3 of them)[/size] and will get some of the Nokta FORS bolts and nuts to replace them.

As for some of the search coil ears breaking, there are some logical reasons, even due to inappropriate handling, but I am contacting Nokta Detectors/Makro Detectors with a 'fix' idea that worked for another manufacturer a few decades back that I believe will cure the problem.

I am heading out this evening for a day afield tomorrow after another VA appointment since the weather is beautiful and the N & M detectors are ready-to-go! I hope you and others have an opportunity to get out hunting as well.

Monte

Can't any company get it right before they send out units

Well I wanna thank metaldetector.com for great and fast service. I contacted them, they needed the serial number off the bad coil and have me a new one coming today ups.

It would be nice to get some new coil bolts, don't need to have them break in the field without backups. I have a pretty large collection of coil bolts from my Fishers and what not that I bring along hunting as I've had coil bolts/nuts break in the field before so I bring spares, but they don't work on the Racer.

I'm going to email and ask for new bolts....just to be safe.

happycamper08 said:
I recently purchased the Racer pro pack and I am beginning to be concerned about the durability of this machine. when I got it I put the machine together and all seemed well. Last sunday I took it out to a local school and as I switched the machine on the coil was flopping around so I tried to tighten the coil bolt and it snaped off. No big deal, I head to the local hardware store and pick up a plastic bolt and proceed to use the machine for an hour. All went well so I didn't give the coil bolt another thought. Well today I went out for about 30 min and I got down to dig a target and the coil flopped forward. When I pick the machine up both ears have broken off. Needless to say I have concerns.

Have no doubts..Makro will take care of the issue through their warranty.

Trust me.Without going in to detail. Makro will make it right..

On the Topic of breaking "ears on coils", Minelab went their own epidemic of 'breakages' on X-Terra coils.

The problem was in the moulding process, not enough 'rigidity': getting the mix right in plastic moulding is a tricky process - overly hard and things will break, too soft and things will break.
But, the plastic makers are good at what they do and can usually find the [ correct mix ] fairly quickly.

Minelab Warrantied and replaced their X-Terra coils even when out of Warranty (and to owners of second hand purchases)
I'm expecting "Makro & Nokta" to do the same.

However, considering how detectors are used the "where's" and the "outdoors" "obstacles" and so on, there will always be breakages from ' natural causes'
It's up to the individual to prevent and lessen the possibility of this happening (I've never broken a coil in my life)

Just my 2c worth

Good Hunting

Des D