Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Starting to learn the Kruzer "language"

coin-star

When I am out hunting coins, I don't like to dig a lot of trash. Something that is very cool about the Kruzer in 3T mode is that the tones are very descriptive. Coins almost thump when you pass over them. They are a very clean/clear tone and normal TID only wavers a +/- on or two numbers.

Die cast cars, for example have rung up like quarters or just a little lower and almost crackle or sizzle at the end. I dug an aluminum rabies tag today with one chain link attached. It jumped around a little like a high dime, but also was a broken sound. Two quarters stuck together will ring up in 90's and really thump and sometimes double beep. Aluminum tends to jump around or change ID's when you X it with the coil.

I am really starting to understand the tones and I like how the detector reacts to different targets. Of course there will be surprises and misses, but I am really starting to understand what I am hearing.

-CS

PS. I got the Predator Tools Raptor digger and this was my first hunt with it. I feel like it is very fast to make clean plugs and dig with this tool. I also had no problems at all using it in the gravel!

Good stuff coin star. I am finding the same as you. Coin tones pop out at you with clarity.

Now only if I can get a new faceplate. LOL

I really like the 3 tone mode as well, but I wish I could get comfortable using 2 tone and 4 tone. Right now they are just too unstable to be usable for me at the moment. I need to figure out gain and iSat settings for them in my soil.

Dr. Witty said:
I really like the 3 tone mode as well, but I wish I could get comfortable using 2 tone and 4 tone. Right now they are just too unstable to be usable for me at the moment. I need to figure out gain and iSat settings for them in my soil.

I started out liking 4 tones on the Kruzer, but it is just way too noisy for me and falses too much, especially if the gain is high. (Soil where I hunt is 68-73 ish) In 5 kHZ, 4 tones is really a wild beast and hard to tame. On my Racer 2, I used 2 tones almost exclusively because 3 tones didn't seem as deep to me. However, on the Kruzer, if you factor out all the noise and falsing you get in 4 tones, 3 tones is just as good, and probably nearly as deep (your mileage may vary, of course!). I keep the iSAT setting at the factory default. I push my gain up until I start to get popping, falsing, or other noises, then back it down until I hit that sweet spot--usually 80-89. I'm currently trying to test out the results from the different Frequency + Gain + 2, 3, and 4 tone combinations on different targets, (and also tone breaks and tone sounds) and can see I'm just beginning to get to know this detector and what it can do.

Keep us posted!

I have had some issues with 4 tone also. For me it is very HOT and erratic. I haven't used it a whole lot because of this.

I did hunt one day with 2 tone and it wasn't bad. I also a have a Fisher F19, which only has low tone/VCO, so I am pretty comfortable in 2 tone mode. One cool thing about 2 tone mode is that you can set the tone break and turn off anything below the tone break using the Iron Volume. This way you're discriminating without using any actual discrimination. I get some pops here and there, but I was using it to "snipe" some dimes and quarters and it worked pretty well.

CS

I really like 3 tone if I’m just cherry picking clad. That’s my go to “park” program. Disc at
27 notch out 33-60. My 4 tone mode is set up with the disc at 11 and no notch. I call this my “soccer field” program for areas with a better chance of jewelry
And fewer pull tabs. I set the nickel tone high like 60-70 kHz so it hits like dimes and quarters and my nickel count has gone way up. Apparently I had been getting lazy
And not paying attention to some of the lower sounding targets. Run 3 tone at 14 kh and 4 tone on 19 kh to help get the lower conductors.

Tom how does that setup work in a trashy park with a lot of surface targets?

It's been years since I did much park hunting, so naturally the first time I took the Kruzer to a trashy park, it was a totally different experience then relic hunting - lol

You don't have to max out the Gain to hunt.
That's for guys who want a sparky detector and best performance-- setting adjustments so that your hunting into the noise.
Which may not be the best for all sites.
You can choose to hunt in a more relaxed pace by not adjusting Gain so high. Somewhere I remember reading most detectors from overseas
provide much more Gain than detectors made in the US. So they may seem unstable for those not used to a high Gain machine. Guys who run a Fisher F70-75 or a Tek T2, would
have no issues with the MM Kruzer, they are used to running into the noise.

Sven said:
You don't have to max out the Gain to hunt.
That's for guys who want a sparky detector and best performance-- setting adjustments so that your hunting into the noise.
Which may not be the best for all sites.
You can choose to hunt in a more relaxed pace by not adjusting Gain so high. Somewhere I remember reading most detectors from overseas
provide much more Gain than detectors made in the US. So they may seem unstable for those not used to a high Gain machine. Guys who run a Fisher F70-75 or a Tek T2, would
have no issues with the MM Kruzer, they are used to running into the noise.
I agree that the Kruzer is hot at lower gain settings. The site I happen to be hunting at the time is very old and the older coins are deep, and there is minimal trash aside from deep iron and a bit of surface modern trash. So I run the gain as high as I can get away with without excessive noise or falsing. I'm currently testing out the quality of signal and ID on deep silver coins in 5kHz vs 14. Thanks for the wisdom, Sven.

Very good info here. Doesn’t matter what detector you are using. Slow down & start learning the sounds of your detector.

Kapok said:
I started out liking 4 tones on the Kruzer, but it is just way too noisy for me and falses too much, especially if the gain is high. (Soil where I hunt is 68-73 ish) In 5 kHZ, 4 tones is really a wild beast and hard to tame. On my Racer 2, I used 2 tones almost exclusively because 3 tones didn't seem as deep to me. However, on the Kruzer, if you factor out all the noise and falsing you get in 4 tones, 3 tones is just as good, and probably nearly as deep (your mileage may vary, of course!). I keep the iSAT setting at the factory default. I push my gain up until I start to get popping, falsing, or other noises, then back it down until I hit that sweet spot--usually 80-89. I'm currently trying to test out the results from the different Frequency + Gain + 2, 3, and 4 tone combinations on different targets, (and also tone breaks and tone sounds) and can see I'm just beginning to get to know this detector and what it can do.

Keep us posted!

For a minute here I thought i was reading my own post. My soil is also between 68-low 70's and I too used my Racer 2 on 2 tones almost exclusively, in fact I think I used that same wording somewhere else. I'm still learning and will most likely have to lower my gain and set the iSat back to factory. The Multi Kruzer has way more depth adjustment on the gain than the Racer 2 does. I eve remember Tom Slick stating that he even got 4 inches of depth with the Racer at a gain of 1.

Here in north TN, I usually GB in the mid to upper 70's.

In 3 of 4 tone especially, I see the need for not running a high gain.