Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Static...

richbat

Would someone please explain to me what's going on here?To me it seems my Compadre is going through batteries rather to quickly,now before anyone asks,yes i do use headphones.Yesterday like a few times before the Compadre would start to get kind of a static tone when this happened before i just changed the battery and all was well again but when i tested the battery it was still in the green on my tester meaning it should have still been ok but when i reinserted that battery i'd get that static sound again.It didn't seem to affect the performance but had that dang static going on.I use Duracell if that means anything at all.

Are you sure it is battery related and not emf interferrence ?

I've had an experience where the detector was quirky on low battery and turned out the replacement wasn't any better, which had me concerned until I put in a third, fresh, new battery and instant fix.
BB

Hi Rich, if you haven't already, check and make sure one of your battery contact springs has not become closed enough to not allow snug contact with your battery. Not likely the case but I have seen the very thing happen before. Batteries do vary in size, though minute in most cases, but some do require a little more pressure to insert, causing the spring to depress more than would be snug on a smaller size battery. Very thing caused my son's Shadow X5 to do what you describe. If that is the problem , be gentle when spreading the spring a bit. They are pretty fragile I would imagine. HH,Charlie

I agree, check the battery fit. It sounds like the battery is not making good contact. Did you ever test a 9 volt by touching it to your tongue? If you get a strong tingle on your tongue the battery is good. Try it with a fresh one once so you know what a good battery feels like. It won't kill you, just tingle, I do it all the time to test them.

Rainyday101 said:
I agree, check the battery fit. It sounds like the battery is not making good contact. Did you ever test a 9 volt by touching it to your tongue? If you get a strong tingle on your tongue the battery is good. Try it with a fresh one once so you know what a good battery feels like. It won't kill you, just tingle, I do it all the time to test them.
I am a good ole courty boy that is a farmer, even if us farmers fix things with duct tape and baling twine we still wouldn't touch a battery to our tongue to test it, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

SkiWhiz said:
I am a good ole courty boy that is a farmer, even if us farmers fix things with duct tape and baling twine we still wouldn't touch a battery to our tongue to test it, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I do it all the time...9 volts only.
My tongue isn't long enough to test any other kind this way.
I kind of like it...it's a little addicting after awhile.

REVIER said:
SkiWhiz said:

I do it all the time...9 volts only.
My tongue isn't long enough to test any other kind this way.
I kind of like it...it's a little addicting after awhile.

Just make sure you don't touch it to metal braces or retainers. My brother did when we were young, he got the shock of a lifetime.

Well cleaned the battery contacts real good yesterday,they were a little dirty but now the shine pretty good.I'm gonna try some different batteries just to see if i can duplicate the sound i was getting from the Duracell,one thing i have noticed is that not all batteries fit the same inside of it,some seem more tight then others don't know why maybe just the manufacturer who knows.Another thought that came to me was maybe the Duracells drop off in power more quickly then others,who knows.

richbat said:
Well cleaned the battery contacts real good yesterday,they were a little dirty but now the shine pretty good.I'm gonna try some different batteries just to see if i can duplicate the sound i was getting from the Duracell,one thing i have noticed is that not all batteries fit the same inside of it,some seem more tight then others don't know why maybe just the manufacturer who knows.Another thought that came to me was maybe the Duracells drop off in power more quickly then others,who knows.
Seems some of the off brand nine volts run bigger in size, the Energizers and the Duracells are pretty consistant. The battery in the Compadre's that I have owned lasted along time. I usually bought Rayovac 9 volts as they are alittle cheaper and work well.

Charlie.I did see your reply and did check the battery clips,they looked ok to me.Thanks,Rich

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but are the batteries Alkaline? Heavy Duty and others will drain quickly.

Are you still having the problem or have you got it corrected?

Think i may have it corrected.The contacts were a little dirty so i cleaned them up real good,guess now we'll just have to wait and see.Had it out today for about 3 hours and it seemed fine.

Dirty contacts will cause a voltage drop across them. The voltage regulator in your detector (probably 5 volt) needs a volt and a half higher voltage (6.5V) minimum to effectively maintain regulation. If the voltage got below this threshold that could have very well been your problem.

Glad you got it straightened out. Over 14 years pursuing this hobby, I have run into statements from nearly all the manufacturers that the largest single cause of warranty returns were some way battery related.
BB