Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sterling silver

kansa54

I found this sterling silver cross the other day that read like a pull tab. Was just wondering why some sterling silver comes in as pull tabs while other sterling silver is more like a silver coin. Is it due to size and shape? I've found sterling silver rings that also read as pull tabs.
Almost forgot, I was using my Vaquero.

I think you answered your own question, size and shape. I can't tell how small the cross as there is no size reference. I dug up a quarter sized St. Christopher and it read as a dime on my Toltec ll. I also dug up a small girl's sterling ring that came in as pull tab. Dimes read higher because they are round and solid, all detectors love round objects, better eddy current saturation.

It not onlt has to do with size and shape, although that is likely the reason for the response from the cross...it looks like old sterling....with respect to rings, I have noticed that the ones that come in the lower "zone" are shinier than the ones that come in in the high range....why? My guess is that the composition of some sterling rings is different to others....while some have copper in them, I suspect that the shinier ones have nickel in them (yes, the same metal that goes into gold to make it "white" and shiny). If there is nickel in these silver rings, it would have the effect of making them register in the lower zone of conductivity.

It not only has to do with size and shape, although that is likely the reason for the response from the cross...it looks like old sterling....with respect to rings, I have noticed that the ones that come in the lower "zone" are shinier than the ones that come in in the high range....why? My guess is that the composition of some sterling rings is different to others....while some have copper in them, I suspect that the shinier ones have nickel in them (yes, the same metal that goes into gold to make it "white" and shiny). If there is nickel in these silver rings, it would have the effect of making them register in the lower zone of conductivity.

Nice little silver find,

Thats a nice find! :clapping:

I also have had heavy silver chains come in exactly the same signal and signature of one of those pole wires off a chain link fence...when it comes to jewelry, all the norms go right out the window...the bummer is those tabs...so many of them, yet some really nice gold falls right in that signature, as many of you can attest..Oh well, thats quite a trophy cross there!
Mud.

Nice going on the sterling silver.:cheers:

If you're digging pull tabs there is a good chance that there is gold and silver jewelry hiding in there somewhere.

I find a lot of small silver rings in the zinc range and every once in awhile a large gold ring. So you really need to dig pull tabs and zinc pennies to not miss anything.

tabman

Thanks for all the comments on the silver cross. It's bad enough that most gold falls in the trash range but to also have a lot of silver jewelry in that range doesn't seem fair. LOL.
I found the cross at a swimming area at a local lake. I dig all signals at a sand beach but to do that at some of the other trashy areas that I hunt, would wear me down really fast.

tabman said:
Nice going on the sterling silver.:cheers:

If you're digging pull tabs there is a good chance that there is gold and silver jewelry hiding in there somewhere.

I find a lot of small silver rings in the zinc range and every once in awhile a large gold ring. So you really need to dig pull tabs and zinc pennies to not miss anything.

tabman

Don't mean to high jack this post,But thanks for the info on tabs .