Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still having low battery issues with Excal

Digging Fool

I posted a while back about getting the low battery sound after 1-1/2 hours or so of hunting. Changed the battery pack in the pod, and it's still doing it. It's cut a few hunts short, and I can't figure it out. Thinking about parting ways with it. :surrender:

Whats it reading on a multi meter when you take it off the charger? Test it before you put it on then after. Could be the charger as well. Do you have a friend who has an Xcal that could loan you a battery..... even if its the AA pod to see if its the machine? Also i think someone mentioned .... run it all the way down till your machine shuts off .... then recharge it. IF.... you decide to toss it send it to me not the trash can.

Dew

Dew has it right - drain it, then charge it, use a multimeter to see what the voltage is too. I had some issues at first, then accidentally drained the battery. After using the stock charger, it has worked fine ever since; the smart charger wouldn't charge it because I drained it too low. The stock charged did fine with it. The smart charger has worked on it ever since though.

if you can provide more details ie- age of batteries,machine ect how long youv owned it.... i have a used excal-1000 ...i noticed my charges werent lasting as long as they had in the past,so i bought one from that just batteries .com or whatever it is called....wow what a difference a fresh battery can make....i have yet to run out of power on fll days hunt....like dew said check your dc volt reading with mutimeter...i think mine read somewhere around 13 or 14 volts when fully charged.... another thing you may want to look at is to make sure your prongs on the charger havent pinched closed thus causing poor contact between charger and battery...also clean out the 2 cavities in the battery that the prongs slide into... if prongs on charger are pinched just gentley pry them open with sharp knife..... also check the prongs on your machine to make sure they havent closed....

Thanks for the info! I have been showing over 12 volts when checked. The battery pod was new that I put in it, but it behaved the same. Plug seems to fit good. I'll re-check it. :thumbup:

Could be your "charger" (which is just a wall transformer putting out a constant low trickle charge and voltage) is going bad. Under load it might be dropping the wall transformer down in voltage too low to charge the pack to the proper voltage. A charger (or transformer in this case) for nimhs or nicads has to put out more voltage than the end target voltage of the pack in oder to charge it, otherwise the power won't flow. Off the top of my head like maybe 14 or 15 volts to charge a pack to say 12V or so. It's not just the amp flow, but it has to have a higher voltage than the pack's target voltage. If the wall transformer is sagging under load it can't raise the pack voltage past what the transformer is.

I plugged the stock charger up last night and charged overnight. The pod didn't feel warm this morning, but the charger may have felt a "tad" warm. If I remember correctly, the stock charger would make the pod feel a little warm when working correctly. Thanks for the replies!

like Bootyhoundpa, I also had issues and bought a new battery from onlybatteries.com and have yet to hear the low battery squeal. I have done up to three, 3-4 hour hunts no problem.

That aftermarket pack that I think you are talking about is a 1600ma nimh pack. The Sovereign/Excal drains about 50 to 60 ma from memory, depending on if it's sounding off to a target or not. High balling the amp draw to 70ma just to be safe, 1600ma divided by 70ma = 22.8 hours of hunting time.

Really a good healthy pack usually holds more capacity than the label says, like say in the 1800 to 2000ma range. That's one of the advantages to using a charger with a capacity display, so you can see if the pack is in need of excercise. Only is useful information though if the pack is drained dead before charging because it won't show the total capacity the pack is holding if it's already half charged when you start charging.

If the pack holds around 1700ma you can figure around 24 to 25 hours per charge then. Problem is that unless you are not using low self discharge nimhs a week later or so the capacity just sitting on the shelf has already dropped a good bit. I bet you'd have no problem though getting about four hunts in in a week of about 5 hours a piece before the low battery alarm.

I'd probably re-charge every three 5 hour hunts in say a week or two's time or so, so there is never a risk of running into the low attery alarm. If you've got a spare back then just hunt the first one until the low battery alarm. Healthier for the pack IMO to drain it down fairly good here and there to at least low battery alarm, but for me I drain my packs completely dead on a car tail light bulb 2 or 3 times a year about 3 straight times in a row to excercise them and get more capacity/run time. A new pack needs excercise too to greatly increase it's capacity, so I'd at least run to low battery alarm for about 5 different charges and then by then you'll be seeing much longer run time out of the pack.

If you are using the stock wall transformer to charge it, look on it and see what the output MA is. If it's 100ma then that's 16 hours to put 1600ma back into the pack, but if it's completely near dead then I'd shoot for about 20 hours due to the in effeciency of the charging process and also the fact that the pack probably holds a good bit more capacity than 1600ma.

Easy way to figure out how much to re-charge your pack is figure the # of hours you hunted and X that by .70ma to figure the aprox capacity taken out of the pack. Then divide the output of the wall transformer into that to get the aprox # of hours to re-charge it back to full.

Really if it were me I'd buy at least one of the simple plug-n-play chargers they sell for that pack so you've got a clear indication when the pack is charged. I hate the Minelab wall transformers because they don't tell you when the pack is charged and take forever, although I guess the Elite/GT packs lights are said to go out when they are charged because of the little charging circuit inside the pack.

If you use an aftermarket charger don't use one pushing it past about 800ma for the pack, which will take two hours to charge a dead one. That way you know you are being easy on the cells for long life, but it's pointless to charge at the super low rate of the Minelab wall transforms. Well beyond what is needed in a slow charge to not push the pack. Some guys will charge at 1C all the time (1.6 amps for that pack) but that might be pushing the back and give it less life/capacity over time if you do that fast every single charge. Besides, I've read of guys who say the POD gets real hot at high amp rates and it led to the plastic cracking over time. Even at 1/2 C ( 800ma) I'd feel that POD and see if it's getting hot because the POD is holding in the heat. A battery should never be very warm or hot when charging. Luke warm to the touch is OK, but still is a sign the pack is being pushed a bit, because heat destroys batteries over time.

These ML batteries seem to take a pretty good lickin and keeps on ticken. Ive used the same rechargeable for my Exp SE since they came out same with the Xcal and i leave mine on the charger all the time. Mine is ALWAYS warm to the touch and its not unusual when im out there to hunt 8 hours. Never had one go low on me. Now i have to ask..... what is the machine doing? Are you sure its the battery..... and if so do you have a warranty? We hate down time...... but drain the battery if it dont charge its time to talk to ML. It takes longer in shipping time than repair time.

Dew

I think the Excalibur as well as some of the older Sovereigns prior to the Elite don't have any way to tell the charge is complete since the setup is just a wall transformer outputting a steady current at a trickle charge rate. That's probably why these are using such a low amp output that takes so long to charge by using what is considered a trickle rate, because then there is no big need to monitor the pack and see when it's peaked. Because over charging won't be a huge issue like it would be at a higher amp rate that could lead to very hot batteries or worse.

Nicads don't mind being trickle charged all the time to stay ready for action. Many nicad chargers will charge at a higher rate and then switch to a trickle one to maintain the cells at full charge while sitting waiting for use, so they don't self-discharge over time on you. But I've always read that nimhs shouldn't be trickle charged once they've peaked, as it's said to be bad for them over time.

Some Excals have nimh packs and some have nicad packs, so if it were me using a nimh I'd either do the math and take it off the stock wall transformer when I think it's full, or I'd get a aftermarket charger that will shut off when the charge is done.

Another way to tell with the stock charging setup is if you can take a voltage reading as the pack is still hooked up charging. Write down the voltage and come back and check it an hour later. If the voltage is higher then it's still charging, but if it's dropped or is staying the same then the pack is done, because once a pack peaks it drops a bit in voltage and then sits there at around that voltage #. But a pack can dip a bit here and there during the normal charging process, so if the voltage has dropped or looks to be about the same I'd re-check it in another half hour or so and see if it's still hovering around the same # or has dropped even further. That should mean it's done.

I think the Elite and GT have a small charging circuit inside the rechargeable pack that shuts off the charge when done. I've hardly ever used the stock pack on my GT but I'm pretty sure some say the green light goes out when done, while I've read that some say their green light will only dim some for them.

Critter does have a good idea to test the charger by using it.... test it, put it on the charger and test it every so often to see if the charge is going UP. No those stinking chargers DONT have a light..... dumbest thing i ever saw.

Dew

Great replies!! Thanks. The problem was the smart charger(or dumb me). Using the stock charger, it seems to work ok. I hunted for 3 hours the other day with no issues. :thumbup: