Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still learning the 10" coil

ElginTim

Just got in from another test run with my 10" coil. I was using my CZ5 w/8" coil to locate mid range targets in a nearby park. Showing steel bottle caps all around (iron hits) I found a good clear high coin signal in the middle of a group of about 6 iron hits over an area about a foot square. That's usually just the iron targets talking but in all metal I could hear that dime about 6" down in the middle of that mess with the CZ. Put it down and got the F70 and while I knew I could have hit it with the 11" coil or the 5" coil I had my doubts about the elliptical.

Doubt resolved. At my normal swing speed I probably would have passed over the target. (Speed kills!) It was bouncy and ranged a little too wide for my liking but I knew there most likely was a good target there from the CZ review. So I slowed the swing and let the rig do the rest and it did hit good when the coil was directly over the target. Read a little high. (80-84) and feared the worst, another clad quarter but it turned out to be nice '44 merc.

Another target the CZ located was a no date buff at 4". Reading nickel-foil but mostly foil I've learned the language of the buff on the CZ and in pinpoint mode I was fairly certain target sizing and placement had me over a buff before I dug it. So up came the F70 and it was her turn. 29-30 all day long from every side.

Now I was thinking maybe a V because in the sidewalk tear-out work I've been hitting lately that's where the V's come in while the buffs are reading 30-32. But pinpoint and depth were right on and it was that no date buff. One chink in the CZ armor for me has always been the beaver tail steal. If it's a bent beaver tail from 2-5 inches deep it will ring in solid nickel at 4" on the CZ for some reason. Sure as the sun rises in my experience. So I located more than a few of them targets (they are plentiful around here) and took the F70 to them and as I've already learned using the 5" and 11" coils, they pretty much always lock in at 26-28. No surprises except that the concentric coil performed as the DD's do on this nasty little target type.

Still gotta dig that target though, you just never know until it's in your pouch.

Nice write up, Tim! Sounds like a fun day experimenting and getting to know the attributes and capabilities of the equipment. Do you think the 11dd likes a faster sweep speed than the 10? Nice catch on the Merc and Buff!:clapping:

Yeah, for this target the 11" would have had little problem, dug more than few silvers from this area already using it and the 5" DD. But rather than go through endless coil changes, I simply took my other rig for locating likely targets at that intermediate level of depth between 5-8". Hopefully tomorrow will be the real test.