Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stingray II & Gold

Rebel1

Howdy all. I just made a trade with a forum member for a Tesoro Stingray II, under water detector. I can't seem to find much info on them, no much in the way of reviews or You Tube videos. Anybody here know anything about them? Are the so bad that nobody talks about them? Should i have kept my Detector Pro Land Pro instead? I wanted it for working shallow water along rivers and lakes to look for lost jewelry and not have to worry about falling in the water and getting it wet. I figured since it runs at the same frequency as the Compadre it might be good on small gold items? Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You did well . Stingrays especially the Stingray ll have a following and still command a respectable resale price , Several years ago I bought one just to use in the rain and the mud .It was easy to clean using a garden hose .It was a good coinshooter and gold jewelry finder .
I read where it could find very small nuggets on the gold fields as well . I only went searching for gold in a stream with it once , I didn't find gold that day but I found enough small items to see it's potential . After a while hunting in the rain and mud lost it's appeal to me and I sold it . The one thing I didn't care for was it was a little tough for me to change the batteries . I also wanted something a little lighter although the weight wasn't really that bad and it had a good balance ..Those were the reasons I sold it besides getting a darn good price for it . I think you will like it and do well with it .

Thank you for the reply and the info. I hope to be able to find some gold jewelry with it at the swimming spots at the lakes and rivers. We shall see. Thanks again

Haven't had the Stinger ll, have the Stingray l and love the machine. It is sensitive to small targets and well known for finding gold that other well known machines don't find regularly. Mine is responsible for two rope chains one 10k and one 14k the first year in the water.
My only complaint is the internal ground balance. While it is usually a non issue in the maintained swimming areas local to me. There are no shortages of creeks and rivers that are a staple of summer activities in Arkansas and the rocks here can play hell on my machine. Being able to adjust it on the fly would be great.

You could give me an Excal 2 , CTX 3030 or CZ21 and I would still keep my stingray. My wife still wears my gold 1/20 oz Chinese panda coin pendant I found at a swimming area where a owner of a detector shop in Illinois left his shop token, don't know what machine he was using. But I know it wasn't a Stinger ;)

Congrats , be safe and good luck out there,

Lakota

Thank you for the reply Lakota. I have been wanting a machine i can use in the water without worrying about getting it wet. Sounds like i made a Good Trade.

I have used the stingray 1,stingray 2,and tiger shark the stingray 2 is more like the tiger then the original stingray.it has plenty of depth and is very sensitive to small gold.the main difference with the SR2 and the tiger is GB only affects the all metal not the dis on the SR2.,the gb on ithe SR1 was the same affects the all metal not the dis, .But at least the sensitivity control is on the outside of the SR 1 but if you hunt in all metal you will not have no problems adjust the gb at waters edge .I had my frist
SR 1 from 1991 to 2000 and found 140 someting gold rings 17 gold chains and a pile of silver rings/chains,and I am sill using a stingray 1 for my main water unit.But like I said you will get about the same performance with the SR 2 as you would with the tiger shark which is awesome.

(ps I had a AT-Pro for 2 years and would rather use any Tesoro water unit over it)

Pulltaber, i had thought about the AT Pro/Gold, but i am not a big Garrett fan. I have had good luck with other Tesoro's and when this trade offer came up went ahead with it. Like you, i do wish the sensitivity adjusment was on the outside but figure i can live with it the way it is. Especially if it finds me some GOLD.

I wouldnt stear you wrong. I've had 2 of these units and am a diehard tesoro fan. modified a few and the lsit goes on. This unit will do what you want plus some.

I also favor the detectorpro units as well. Tho not as sensitive as the Tesoro's thats for sure. The weight is becomming an issues for me anymore with back and neck issues I am doing my best to stay on the liter side of the spectrum until after surgery. Then work my way back into the beefy units again like the fishers. CZ'S. LOVE THOSE UNITS AS WELL. Only one unit I wish Tesoro would have made water proof is the lobo st.

Give me that unit over all the others. lol

Good Luck Rebel1. You'll enjoy it. :thumbup:

Let me chime in here. I AM a huge Garrett fan, love my AT Pro BUT I came across a sweet deal back in the spring on a Stingray II. I grabbed it, played around with it a little and put it in the closet for another day. Well had a coil issue with my much used AT Pro and it was off to be repaired, an opportunity came up to visit a friend in another state and he wanted to take me to some lake sites. So I grabbed the SR2, now not knowing $hi+ from apple butter about this machine really! and never having used a Tesoro, I hunted with it and low and behold I pulled a sweet little 10K ring with pink stone, just a beautiful ring and small too. Like a size 2!! I was impressed, so was my buddy that swings a Tesoro Tiger shark. Now I love my AT Pro and it's tone id and vdi and all that, but I know this SR2 will find the small gold, and I'm sure the larger gold too if the coil comes across it. If you hunted all the time with it and really knew it, man, I bet it would be awesome. So I love it, def keeping it and my plan is to hit my swim areas with the At Pro and then recover the area with the Stibgray 2. Long story short, it's an awesome detector!