Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Storage and Preventive Maintenance?

berryman

I didn't see anything in the Racer owners manual about detector storage and preventive maintenance. Should information on these subjects be added to the manual?

I'd think the same rules would apply as for any other electronic piece of equipment?

If it's going to be over 30 days I just pull batteries and put them in a closet. LCD's in my experience can take a lot of temperature swings, hot and cold. I've left detectors on the porch or in a car (accidental) in sub-freezing temps and had zero issues. I imagine if a cell phone can take a certain type of storage a detector should be no different. Now one thing I do not have a problem with is humidity. But I know some areas are pretty humid so you would probably want to avoid the machine being stored in damp conditions. I think that would be the biggest concern.

"Racer is a state-of-the-art electronic device."

"Do not keep the device and search coil under extremely low and high temperatures for extended periods. (Storage Temperature: 0°C to 40°C/32°F to 104°F)"

"Do not immerse the device and its accessories (except for the search coil) in water or keep them in excessively humid environments."

berryman said:
I didn't see anything in the Racer owners manual about detector storage and preventive maintenance. Should information on these subjects be added to the manual?
No, I don't think it needs more than what they have stated above.

Personally, I pamper my detectors, a lot, and keep my detector-operating hand clean so my detector stays that way. From the appearance of a good 90+% of the detector I see most other people using, their either didn't have an "maintenance" instructions in their Owner's Manual, or the people didn't read them or just didn't care anyway.

I just treat them like I would any expensive piece of equipment and do my best to keep them clean and dry. My primary-use detectors are 'stored' on the back seat of my vehicle to have a gentle ride to wherever we're going to go detecting. Part of my "preventive maintenance" is covering my detectors while in transit with a light-weight white hospital blanket. When done for the day, I try to make sure I wipe them down of any dust, dirt or mud and keep them as clean as possible.

Common sense, I guess.

Monte

Monte

Go to page 2 of the users manual. .

pretty straight forward type things..

Keith

Quote: Personally, I pamper my detectors, a lot, and keep my detector-operating hand clean so my detector stays that way. From the appearance of a good 90+% of the detector I see most other people using, their either didn't have an "maintenance" instructions in their Owner's Manual, or the people didn't read them or just didn't care anyway.

I just treat them like I would any expensive piece of equipment and do my best to keep them clean and dry. My primary-use detectors are 'stored' on the back seat of my vehicle to have a gentle ride to wherever we're going to go detecting. Part of my "preventive maintenance" is covering my detectors while in transit with a light-weight white hospital blanket. When done for the day, I try to make sure I wipe them down of any dust, dirt or mud and keep them as clean as possible.
I'm the same way, anything that cost as much as our toys do in my hands will still look like new years from now.

JFlynn said:
I'm the same way, anything that cost as much as our toys do in my hands will still look like new years from now.
Even after the first three years with my home-built detectors, I will admit that while I wasn't abusive to them, they did get a little dirtier and go a little longer between cleaning sessions. They were not what you'd call filthy or mud caked or battle scared, just some typical dirty hand-grips and search coils and a few other spots.

Most of my detecting was in nice grassy city parks and schools, parking strips and such, and all those plentiful coins were shallower, and the detectors didn't get such great depth anyway. My brother, Ed, and I would use a screwdriver for maybe 9-out-of-10 targets or more so we didn't do much digging to get dirty, yet we could still team-up with 2 rounded-off screwdrivers and one BFO w/6" coil, and [size=small](keeping the detector at work by either of us)[/size] fill a brown colored pint jar in 2½ to 3 hours.

Used that White's BFO for three years and got a new T/R in May of '71, and soon another detector, and the more I got out, I just started to pamper them regularly, and by the end of that year I was treating detectors the same as I do now. I was also hunting more rural locations when I could, and the ghost towns and homesteads got them dirtier than urban detecting, and I started to clean them regularly. So I guess habit might be part of it. :shrug:

Monte