Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange Excal Problem

I have an old NY Excal that I bought used last summer. It has always worked fine and I have made some great finds with it, but I noticed a problem today when I used it on land. I have only used it wading in the water and so far I have never laid it down while it was on. I had used it in very shallow water and decided to see what it would do up on land. I got a good signal and when I laid it down to dig the Excal falsed like crazy. I stood up and when the coil was straight down it quit. I then raised the coil with the shaft parallel to the ground and it falsed like crazy again. The only think I can think is water is somehow getting in the coil wiring when it is in that position. I will try it again tomorrow with a dry coil and see if it does it again.

Anyone else ever had any thing like that happen? Just a bit more information, but his Excal was set up with a 10" Tornado before I bought it.

Thanks for any responses.

My first question would be whats you sensitivity set at? Im lucky in that i dont get much falsing with very high sensitivity.... but yes if i raise my coil it will false like crazy. It hasnt affected me finding targets at great depths thou. I think its more not being attempting to GB with to much sensitivity.... picks up EMI, salt and even the combination of salt and sand under the coil. Like you said once she hits the soil shes good to go.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
My first question would be whats you sensitivity set at? Im lucky in that i dont get much falsing with very high sensitivity.... but yes if i raise my coil it will false like crazy. It hasnt affected me finding targets at great depths thou. I think its more not being attempting to GB with to much sensitivity.... picks up EMI, salt and even the combination of salt and sand under the coil. Like you said once she hits the soil shes good to go.

Dew

Dew, I have question? You say your excalibur will false like crazy if the coil is raised of the ground/sand? is this just the NY model or all excal models?

try cleaning sand from under coil cover?? turn sens down till falsing stops too...check coil for cracks as water will get into coil and cause havac..
hh
john

It has been a very long time since I cleaned the coil cover. I will try that and play with the sensitivity.

I have not even picked it up since I posted my question. We are still dealing with after effects of hurricane Irene here in eastern NC and my time is still very limited.

I had the sensitivity around 12:00 the last time I had it out. I had not thought of the sensitivity, as I thought it being too high would case it to false all the time. I will keep playing with it when I get back out.

Thanks for your help.