Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange mineralization problem

MXTerer

I am on my third or fourth Xterra now. I would buy then sell looking for something better. Now I realize there isn't any I like better than this and my CTX. Anyway-to my problem......
On my previous Xterras with any coils, the ground readings would be low to moderate-20's to 30's. But with my new Xterra the ground reads much better, 40's and 50's. Same area hunted with all detectors, all in tracking mode on. Kind of baffling. Any ideas?

Are you comparing all with 7.5kHz stock concentric coils?

They updated the VFLEX technology a couple months ago, as indicated in the post referring to the use of aftermarket coils. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1715368,1715368#msg-1715368 So if you just bought this one and is is one of the newer models, that could be the reason. I certainly can't swear to it as I don't know what the update entailed. But if it has to do with the communication between the control housing and the coils, it seems logical to me. JMHO HH Randy

Digger said:
They updated the VFLEX technology a couple months ago, as indicated in the post referring to the use of aftermarket coils. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1715368,1715368#msg-1715368 So if you just bought this one and is is one of the newer models, that could be the reason. I certainly can't swear to it as I don't know what the update entailed. But if it has to do with the communication between the control housing and the coils, it seems logical to me. JMHO HH Randy

When did the update occur? I just bought my 705 new in may or june!
And why would the mineralization read different from coil to coil or does it?

The link I provided to Minelab's website is dated. As to when your detector was manufactured, you'll have to contact your dealer or Minelab and give them the serial number.
The ground phase number on the X-TERRA does not tell you the level of mineralization. It is a number that correlates with a setting required to neutralize the effects of mineralization at that specific location, using that particular coil. DD coils, by design, will perform better than concentric coils in mineralized soil. Therefore, DD coils require less "compensation" from the electronics of the X-TERRA to achieve the optimum ground phase, compared to concentrics. You will also find a difference in the ground phase setting required of large coils compared to small coils, due to the amount of soil being analyzed at any one time. And I've also noticed a slight variation between the various frequencies of similar coils. JMHO HH Randy

Wow learning something new everyday thanks digger.