Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange MXT VDI readings...

GoldChaser

Just got back from a trip to the Sierra Nevada's, and found a small piece of iron around 10" deep, like an old can piece, and it gave a weird VDI reading. I had my MXT set on the pre-set Gain (9+), ground balanced at around GND=64 then set on Lock, and in the Prospecting mode. Attached are pics of the rusted iron (very magnetic), along with screen shots that I took in my back yard after sweeping twice, at 90 degree angles. It had VDI readings of 94 and 86 with Iron Probabilities of 20%.
I have come to expect high VDI readings on objects that are very large like complete cans, but getting these readings from rusted iron only about the size of a couple quarters bugs me because most of my detecting is in the Gold Country of northern California where there is a ton of rusted iron. (VDI readings on regular coins are accurate.)
Is this something I am going to have to live with? :-(

That is confusing to me also. All I can think is that it was an errant reading because of the mix of target size, shape etc and it is "fooling" the machine just by a fluke. If your machine is reading correctly otherwise, as you said, I would have to think it's not sick. I assume it gives the same VDI in relic, and C/J modes also . .? Update any findings please and good luck . .

GoldChaser,
I also hunt the gold country and have hit a few of the old sites.
What coil are you hunting with??? this can make a big differance.
When I'm hunting the gold camps I hunt in Relic with track in ground. The minerals in my areas change by the foot!
I run Gain @ 10+ to all the way up. depends on how much trash.
Disc around 2 with the trigger centered and a slight hum.
Also most of the time it's the 6X9 or in heavy trash 4X6.
Now as far as the nails and pieces of tin go...
When I get one of those high VDI readings I back the coil off the target and just "tip" bump the target.
This will must of the time bring the VDI back down into the iron range if it is a "bad" target.
I do the same thing on bottle caps in the parks.
If it's a "good" target it will stay good.
Don't get me wrong a few of those iron targets Can be good iron relics, so I dig most all the "good" readings.
What I think is happening with the high readings is what they call wrap around.
I hope this is helpful. It's all a learning curve......

HH