Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stretch out coil cable...Easy fix !

Elmy

Found it very hard get my cable cord up thru the lower and upper rods....also could not adjust the length of the detector to suit my needs...
Wow !....what a difference this made for me ! Here is a link to a video that helped me out.

0309201039.jpg

yes it does !...but I wanted to adjust the rod to a shorter overall length and my stretched cable would not allow it....it is just an easy fix with a heat gun.
Now I can just push on the cable and it goes thru the rods no problem. Besides ...it looks a whole lot better if you want to ever change coils and have a stretched one lying around.

yes it does !...but I wanted to adjust the rod to a shorter overall length and my stretched cable would not allow it....it is just an easy fix with a heat gun.
Now I can just push on the cable and it goes thru the rods no problem. Besides ...it looks a whole lot better if you want to ever change coils and have a stretched one lying around.
Elmy, have you noticed that for some reason, the cable itself is thicker on the 6 X 8 Coils? I imagine I'd have to use a much narrower dowel to wrap the cord around, and coil it further down on the cord.

Elmy, have you noticed that for some reason, the cable itself is thicker on the 6 X 8 Coils? I imagine I'd have to use a much narrower dowel to wrap the cord around, and coil it further down on the cord.
absolutely...use a 1/4 inch dowel or even a 1/8 inch......could be a piece of a branch off a tree...make sure it is pretty stiff...secure the end near closest to the coil with electrical tape or a clamp and twist the cable along the rod as tight as you can and clamp it. Now apply the heat as in the video, feeling the wire as you go along so it doesn't get too hot. Just the coiled part on the cable.

absolutely...use a 1/4 inch dowel or even a 1/8 inch......could be a piece of a branch off a tree...make sure it is pretty stiff...secure the end near closest to the coil with electrical tape or a clamp and twist the cable along the rod as tight as you can and clamp it. Now apply the heat as in the video, feeling the wire as you go along so it doesn't get too hot. Just the coiled part on the cable.
let it cool down a half hour.....it will eventually stretch again...but will make it easy to put inside the shafts....and you will be able to adjust your length.

Got to go ...got programs/patterns and a bunch of theories to test....post your finds....on the etrac forum !

Elmy, enjoy your posts! I am definitely going to try this, but there is one other factor in play with both the 6 X 8 SEF butterfly coils I've purchased....The actual coil cord is MUCH thicker on these than any other coil I've purchased. That makes it more difficult to use the heat gun method, but perhaps with a 3/16" dowel it might work. Don't know why they did that, but they didn't make it any easier to run the cord through the shaft! Knipper

Elmy, enjoy your posts! I am definitely going to try this, but there is one other factor in play with both the 6 X 8 SEF butterfly coils I've purchased....The actual coil cord is MUCH thicker on these than any other coil I've purchased. That makes it more difficult to use the heat gun method, but perhaps with a 3/16" dowel it might work. Don't know why they did that, but they didn't make it any easier to run the cord through the shaft! Knipper
Glad you like the posts...if you hit like...thumbs up I would that....anyway the cable will work but if you keep changing it out ...it will eventually stretch out again....if you are planning on switching coils often then another lower rod would be the way to go. Or the string pull works too. I had the 6x8 sef coil and yes they are a pain to work with so I know what you mean. Use the 1/8 rod and just twist the coiled section onto the rod.