Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stuff that sucks about the X-Terra 50

Hi,

There really seems to be little point in posting information about new detectors when you are lucky enough to get your hands on one. Or at least anything positive.

Like a lot of guys, I got sent one for free to check out. To make matters even worse, I'm a detector dealer! But I did get an X-Terra 50 to play with, and posted on it in a pretty positive fashion.

Sad story now is that since so many initial reports have been positive it has created a backlash of sorts. Some of the posts are actually pretty insulting, implying or outright stating the opinions of myself and others can be bought pretty darn cheap.

So at this point it seems like all people really want to hear is something bad about the X-Terra 50. Anything good will just be written off. I like picking machines apart, so I'll give it a shot.

The X-Terra 50 costs quite a bit more than the Ace 250 I've been having fun with lately. That sucks.

I only got to use it a few times before it froze up here in Anchorage, and I did not find anything to really brag about. Just your basic coins and stuff. That kind of sucks also.

I wish I had one of the 18.75 kHz coils to try, but they are not slated for release until January. Can you believe the gall of the company making people wait a couple months before releasing an accessory coil? Just because some companies take years or just plain never do it is no excuse!

Oh yeah, I mentioned the cold here in Anchorage. The X-Terra 50 does not have a heated hand grip. That really sucks!! My hand got pretty cold gripping that handle.

I also did not dig a single coin at over a foot. That was a real let down, I have to tell you.

I also was not able to tell the difference between older copper pennies and silver dimes. Well actually sometimes I could when bench testing, but it really did not seem to work in the field. Minelab needs to fix that.

I also was unable to tell the difference between aluminum and gold items with any real reliability. I tested the machine on gold items but when I used it in the field and dug the same numbers, all I got was aluminum. What is up with that?

I guess about the only thing that does not suck is that I do not have to send the X-Terra 50 back to Minelab. Which is good as I like it and want to use it some more. I have a short business trip to Cabo coming up in a couple weeks, and the unit is so compact it will be perfect to take along and use when I can on the trip. It looks to be a great travel unit. Oh, sorry... that does not suck.

Anyway, if I have any luck or find out anything about the machine I like while in Cabo I promise not to post it. But if I find out anything else that sucks you will all be the first to know!

Steve Herschbach

Point well made . . . . . .

Minelab has obviously learned from the past in 1) developing a detector that addresses virtually every "complaint" voiced previously, 2) works darn well in almost any area it has been tested or used in and 3) will have almost any accessory you could want available from Minelab rather than hoping a third party makes it or can supply them.

The people that were selected to receive the INTIAL batch of production units to test were selected by Minelab based on their knowledge, impartiallity and ability to communicate their impressions - positive or negative - to others in short order after receiving one. There seemed to be a lot of backlash from those not selected as to why they were not picked and the like.

There have been some extremely negative posts about how the X-50 is not a detector that a particular person would want to use - sometimes based on very limited (1-2 hours) use. As I've always said, there is no ONE perfect detector for every person and every application. If there was, all the other vendors would be out of business. The solution is simple . . . if you do not like the X-50 (or any model), stick with what you have and works for you! Sort of like people that complain about the content of a certain radio or TV station. If it offends you, turn it off or switch the channel!

Is the X-50 a replacement for anyone's $1,000+ detector? Is it the ultimate all-purpose detector? Will it find coins at 18" in hot ground filled with trash? Will it outperform dual/multi-frequency water detectors on salt beaches? Of course not but then again, that was NEVER its intent when it was designed.

If you want a lightweight detector that is simple to operate, offers above average performance for the price, has the flexibility of operating at different frequencies simply by swapping coils and lastly, has a nice blue color, then the X-50 deserves your attention. If you are looking for more or are doing well with your current machine(s), stick with what works and move on.

I - as others that have done testing on the X-50's - have received a number of E-mails making accusations such as those voiced by Steve and they are really uncalled for. We all do one thing and that is "We use and recommend what work works and not what someone paid us to endorse." Those of you that know me know that I call a spade a spade and have no qualms pointing out the negatives when I see them (and believe me, as the X-50 was being developed over the past year there were issues that I vocally pointed out which the engineers quickly and effectively corrected as demonstrated by their omission in the final version).

With 30+ detectors of my own on the wall, my family and I have our choice of what to take in the field. The X-50 is a FUN (something a lot of detectors are not - they work well but lack the FUN FACTOR) detector to use that does what it was intended to do. Several friends and my wife have said that the weight and balance issue on other Minelab units have kept them from using them but the X-50 is an entirely new detector and has caught their eye.

So let's all get out and do some hunting with whatever unit works for us and start posting finds rather than complaints . . .

OK - off my soapbox

Andy Sabisch

I bought a new X-50 received it yesterday. Took it out for three hours, set it up and it purred like a kitten, what a pleasure to use. I could mention everything postive about it in reports but that has been cover already. I find there is no hype about this detector. Minelab has a winner in the X-Terra 50. I also have three other top of the line Minelab detectors. Only my opinion of product.

Steve,
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Although, I would like to complain about NOT being able to use my reading glasses anymore ... the digital numbers are so BIG that my face is now relaxed to the point of making it look like I've been drinking whiskey after detecting all day. Or maybe the GRIN on my face is to blame.
The battery consumption is really starting to get on my nerves too, I really prefer to change batteries after at least every 20 hours of hunting and the X-Terra has really let me down in this catagory.
How Rediculious :)
One more thing, I'm no longer getting enough exercise/therapy from handling a heavy detector after having 2 shoulder surgeries.
I guess we all have to sacrafice something.
About the emails some of us have gotten while testing the X-Terra, some have been nice and some not so nice but I'll say it again.
If you want to try before you buy and live within a reasonable driving distance, I will be more than glad to meet you on your turf and let you have a go at the X-Terra.
H.H.
Mike

I have a bunch of Sovereigns and I like them and have modified them them to suit me and have shared the modifications with anyone who cared to ask. Even Minelab folks, like Dick Schultz and dealers like David Keith (Dixie Detectors), and I'm sure they have relayed my good ideas (and those of others) to Minelab. What the X-Terra shows is that Minelab IS LISTENING. That's what is really exciting! We, the people who use these machines, are the ones who will help creat the next "great" detector. I appreciate the input and field reports of all of the people who field-tested the X-Terra and, perhaps more important, the experiences of some really great Sovereign users, like Rick in North Dakota. A lightweight detector that has visual ID in both all metal & disc, uses only 4 AA batteries and costs less than $600. Wow! I like it already!

Bill

I could not have said it any better. I guess I have been unaware of some of the accusations going around, but I couldn't agree with you more. I also totally agree; the X-Terra is a fun detector and very user friendly with a lot of bang for the buck. I think it has more potential than most of us has realised, and I look forward to some serious relic hunting this winter. Hope you make some great finds this season. Good hunting, David

...thanks a lot - now I'm gonna have to buy one. And I've been enjoying my 250 lately too.

And those of us tall guys don't have to slump forward and down. I'm only 5'10" and it's just right for me. Mine just came in. I haven't got it out of the yard yet but it sure is light. I haven't quite got ground balance figured out yet.

From what I have read that is my opinion BECAUSE I am 5ft 4in.--That SUCKS also--No one has ever said some one short would be able to use it---If Minelab does LISTEN then they need to make a Shorter rod so that SHORT people can change to it---Looks to me it will cut into Sales to women also

It can be shortened,
Tools: Tubing cutter or Hack saw
Drill motor
1/4" drill bit

First, figure the maxuim and minimum length needed. Then mark it(measure twice just in case)and cut the lower shaft to desired length.
Insert the lower back into assy. with coil installed. Make sure the coil and shaft have proper alignment. Mark hole. Remove and drill.
Reinsert spring clip. Ready to hunt.

SHORT CUT: Insert to shortest position with spring clip locked. Tighten cam lock. Mark one of the remaining holes, Remove and drill or drill while installed. Remove shaft, cut off extra length and insert the spring clip. Ready to hunt.

I would do this in small amounts to ensure not to cut smaller than needed.

Regards,
Joe DeMarco