Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Success with sidewalk strips!!!

CZconnoisseur

Greetings and Happy New Year to all...I braved the 15*F day to recover a few goodies, I walked 60ft from my front door to the end of the driveway and started hunting the sidewalk strip, which I scanned a few times before but never dug anything to get an idea of how many targets may be living there. Using Deus Fast, it sounds almost like machine-gun fire with bits of iron junk closer to the driveway, and these taper off the further from the concrete I get. There is a "No Parking" sign made fron angle iron about 12 feet from the driveway, and 45 feet beyond that is the bus stop and stop sign. Today I dug all the non-ferrous targets, the foil and bottlecaps aren't pictured...

The closer I get to the bus stop, the more saturated the targets get. Low iron sounds, midtone can slaw (Im sure there's at least costume jewelry there too), and high coin tones litter this strip with so much abundance that Deus Fast is the only way to really clean it out - the other programs work well but I miss a lot of the smaller targets because of the slower reactivity settings. The idea is to clean the strip of the shallower targets first, and then go for the deeper and better stuff once that's done. I dont have to grid the area, I just go off of sidewalk sections!!! Very easy digging - no rocks, moderate trash, and best of all - not even 100 feet from home! I started on the "easy" end which is my driveway and while expecting to dig more garbage than I did - the targets were about 50% keepers.

The first target was a booming 93 using Deus Fast, 12kHz, Sens 85, 5tones...and was only 2" deep. It appears to be a WW2 service medal - probably dropped in the 1960s judging from the condition of the copper. Dug a few bits of foil, this stuff is so easy to find now that I have a ProPointer - I never knew how much time could be saved by using one of these! Been hunting for almost 30 years but just started with the handheld; won't leave home without it now!!! Dug a few dimes, then a 1946 Wheat, then more foil, and then some larger iron bits.

Got a faint signal 2 feet from the "No Parking" sign and initially thought it was interference from the angle iron. So I dug a few nearby midtones to try and get rid of the "high tone", a practice I used with the CZ-6 that eliminated some falsing. After digging these the Deus gave a stronger high-tone, not as faint, registering a solid "85" - so I will have to "unlearn" this habit since the Deus apparently sees it all without the falsing!!! Dug a square plug about 6" deep and the Propointer still indicated deeper in the center of the hole. I was careful to retrieve this target, knowing what it could be - turned out to be a nice 1944 D Merc - first silver of the year for me! The lesson to take away from this for me was the sound that dime made so close to the sign, and the fact that the Deus saw it 7" down while there were at least 2 other targets (foil and some iron) under the coil at the same time. What an outstanding machine!!!

One of the last things was the aluminum "heart" which I first thought was silver, but the Deus made no mistake if its presence under the coil. There's nowhere to hide (except really DEEP) from this machine!

I hunted only the first 15 feet of the strip today, and the best of the finds are to come. Have no idea how long there has been a bus stop at the corner, but I would bet there are at least 100 coins in the strip left to find - Im guessing at least 3 of them are silver with 10-15 coins being Wheat cents. Good times!!!

Sweet finds and nice to see you are enjoying the Deus!!

My hunting cannot restart till the weekend. The outside temp warmed up to -1 with a wind chill of -18!!

Guess what though, till the weekend it may be in the 50's!!!

I enjoyed your story, and I have to say that you must be as tough as old boot leather!

Congrats on your first 2014 silver.

Nice write up!
Your doing the right thing by starting with deus fast in 12khz
Then you can use "basic one" and the numbers will be the same.
Basic one goes at least a few inches deeper (just have to slow down your swing slightly) you'll be having fun!!
Keep us posted!

Foot hill said:
Nice write up!
Your doing the right thing by starting with deus fast in 12khz
Then you can use "basic one" and the numbers will be the same.
Basic one goes at least a few inches deeper (just have to slow down your swing slightly) you'll be having fun!!
Keep us posted!

Haven't been able to check the strips in 3 days - hasn't stopped raining long enough to get out there and hunt! Today after work looks a lot better - dryer and in the 50s which will be nice compared to the recent cold.

I'm going towards the bus stop tonight so there will be MANY finds just hoping for some silver in there somewhere - I'd say the odds look purty good :biggrin:

Can't wait to see what you pull out...
Good Luck and keep it low and slow

HH

So I spent a couple nights checking the sidewalk strips again - this time I found more trash than good targets, but I wanted to see what may be lurking underneath some of the surface-level iron. Turns out there wasn't too much there that the Deus didn't see initially using Deus Fast - some of the bolts and lag screws tried to sneak high tones through, but it wasn't a consistent, smooth sound.

The watch was only 2" down and is junk (no surprise there) - found a couple 1950s Wheats along with a Girl Scout pin and maybe $1.50 in clad. A couple zincolns were down around 4-5", and I wonder if there are coins below 9-10" that are just out of reach...may need the 11" coil for confirmation on that!

Using 12 kHz seemed to suck up the pencil eraser holders along with cigarette-lighter strikers - and foil! Lots of small aluminum pieces of (?), can slaw, and tiny pieces of machinery seemed to pop out of the woodwork - and the Deus picked out nearly all of them until I got tired of digging small mid-toned targets!

May have only a few nights left of searching the strips until I run out of mid and high-toned targets - I am also digging the large iron targets in an attempt to unmask deeper items. My plan is to exhaust 100' or so of the strips in front of my house, and the neighbor's strip of all non-ferrous targets - THEN come in with the 11" coil to see what was too deep for the large coil. Should be interesting...