Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Suggestions for colonial fields with the dreaded..Aluminum cans and canslaw

azsh07

I used to use an SE Pro a few years back in fields like this as I seemed to be able to tell aluminum cans from copper relics a lot better than on my F75.

However I sold the SE Pro a year or so ago.

Now I have picked up another E-trac...yes I had one for a short amount of time until something serious came up that forced me to sell it.

Anyway, I have several colonial era hay fields that are just LOADED with aluminum cans...not so much slaw but more so larger sections and usually whole or half cans. So I am not dealing with a lot of cut little bits...a little but not much.

On a standard VLF cans are too much of a pain to differentiate especially when they are 11" deep. They ID the same as say a shallow large frock button. Now this is on the Teknetics and Fisher machines..

So I picked up an E-Trac for fields like this.

Question is....first off is there already a pattern loaded up here somewhere for this type of issue or does someone have some setting suggestions.

The iron here is not too bad in the fields just mainly 35 years of the guys tossing their cans in the ground......!!!

scott

Cans are tough because they ring up like coins. Most of the time I can tell it's a can because if I hold the detector directly over the target, it rings up a barrage of jumpy signals. Another way is to raise the detector a few inches. If the depth still indicates 2", it's big.

Never came across a can at 11" though... you might end up just having to dig those bad boys.

...most of them are deep...a result of tilling the fields etc.

Will see how the Etrc ID's them......possible that the V3i might have a good profile in't its polar plot or in the signagraph.

These cans really ruin a great field and there are so many you really can't dig them all....it would be so miserable.

Azsh07, not much can be done about portions of buried deep cans. Being highly conductive they sound great even at 13-14", appears like a coin at 6". I've dug many. The big problem is what can slaw at 12" indicates for my hunting type: the soil is more recent back-fill. Not going to find old coins

I'll tell you what, if i had access to an old colonial site, i would dig everything, anything, valid IDs or not!
Eventually, you'll clear out those cans and get to the serious finds, if they're there!
Look at the bright side, If there's that many of them there cans, take 'em to an aluminum salvage place and get some beer money!:happy: