Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Suggestions needed / Snorkeling

woffie

I would like to combine my two favorite hobbies, detecting and snorkeling. I have been using the detectorpro diver for years now and although it is a great detector for water hunting, I'm not confident about snorkeling with it. I don't have the best hearing and volume underwater is a big issue.
Any suggestions on what detector would best suite me?
This detector would be used almost entirely in fresh water and needs to have waterproof headphones with great volume. It also needs to be a great saltwater detector for vacations a couple times a year.
I don't know if there is a single answer but hopefully someone out there can give some suggestions.
Thanks in advance, Woffie

Don't exclude the Tiger Shark for fresh water. Lifetime warranty and it seemed much louder to me than the Excal I had. Haven't used the CZ so can't compare it to the CZ. No argument about the CZ and the Excal being superior water machines in the saltwater. In fresh water, for about half the price, I think the Tiger Shark is as good or better. It has a reputation for finding the small stuff and the chains.

Now the bad news...Unitil/unless Tesoro has started making them again, they are hard to find. Tesoro stopped making them when Tesoro's supplier of waterproof connectors suddenly stopped making them. Tesoro is now making their own and I think manufacturing should begin soon. The one thing Tesors does is it makes the coil so it can be disconnected and another size coil can be attached...just like on most of the land machines. No other water machine comes with that feature. jim

i use the fisher cz20! the cz21 is a cz20 minus the led lights and a different pinpoint button. i have about 30-40% hearing loss and the cz20 is perfect for me!!! it has volumeboost! at a certain setting all targets have equally loud audio. low audio/deep signals are "boosted."

Hi

Where I live, I see lots of good finds made in both fresh and salt water with submersible metal detectors.

The only one getting chain gold is the Tiger Shark.

Bracelets up to one ounce in weigth are missed by all other VLF units (not PI) including multifrequency ones, unless used in all metal.

So it's a matter of knowing what you want to find...Only rings, hoping for that big cluster of diamonds, or rings AND other forms of gold jewelry...

The Tiger shark seems to have problems when entering salt water, if somebody could confirm/complete this info, i'd be glad too.

HH

Nick

You just said 'snorkeling.' If you do it in warm water with no wetsuit needed you'll be good to go with any of those above. However, if you are in cold water and need a hood, the earphones have to go around that hood and the sound has to be able to go through the rubber that's keeping your head warm. Sometimes air gets trapped between you earphone and the hood and the sound doesn't conduct through the air as well as it does the water. I sometimes have to pull the hood out a bit to allow the water to fill the air space between the hood and the earphone. (Some have said it would work more easily if I filled the air space between my ears.) That's something you wouldn't know about unless you dive and detect in cold water. Jim

My detectorpro diver also has a lot of falsing when entering the saltwater or shallow waves washing over the coil. After that it quietens down a bit but still a lot of falsing when hunting with the settings I use. I take my time and if I can get the signal to repeat, it gets dug.
Thanks for all the advice, Woffie

Well even in warm water in Florida after being in it too long I got chilled. I just used a shortie wetsuit and had no problems it is a 3 mil and you can buy them at Sams Club. I was in the water about 14 hours a day though!! I know nothing about your machine but if you can get past the falsing like you do and your only going to salt water a couple of times a year I would just keep it and tolorate the falsing. But I do love my Fishers!!

Grab some more gold in fresh water and then think about upgrading!!! Good Luck