Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Suggestions Please

I recently moved from the Land of Oz to colorful Colorado. I live in rural Colorado on the eastern plains that vaguely looks like western Kansas. Imagine that.

With this change of environment I'm going to get to go out more often. In fact it has been at least 5 years since I've been out consistently.

My current detectors were bought back in the 2005 time frame. I'm guessing that technology has improved detectors. So I'm looking to potentially by a new detector. My older ones are a Minelab Musketeer and a Tesoro Silver Max. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 ... I hope.

I'll be hunting old farm sites, schools, parks, forts, battle ground sites, and wherever else I can gain access. Most if not all will be on private property.

I've never used a detector with a display - my preference is depth. So any suggestions you can give me ... I'm not sold on a brand. I've never had an issues with the Minelab or Tesoro. Would look at any detector ... kind of guessing (could be wrong) that most detectors in a certain price range are about equal.

Thanks - much appreciated

With your price range, I'd look at the following:

Fisher

F75
F5
F44

Teknetics

Omega 8000
T2
Gamma 6000

Whites

MX5

Tesoro

Vaquero

Garrett

AT Pro

Call the forum sponsors for your best deal.

Used machines open a bunch of other opportunities in your price range.

Of the machines listed, the only 1 that I own/use is the MX5. I love it - it will go deep, it's light and easy to swing and it works great for me. It is a threshold machine though and some people don't like the location of the headphone connection.

Based solely upon videos or reviews I've seen, if deep is the most important factor I'd look really hard at the Vaquero, the F75 and the T2. Others will have opinions that are equally/more valid.

I hear they hillbillyfied there. Watch your six. I would suggest any of the Fisher's, or a AT Pro. Make sure you get a small coil with the stock coils if you want to hunt iron or trash.

jd88047 said:
I hear they hillbillyfied there. Watch your six. I would suggest any of the Fisher's, or a AT Pro. Make sure you get a small coil with the stock coils if you want to hunt iron or trash.

In parts of Colorado that might be a distinct possibility. Other parts are full of snowflakes - the epitome of snowflakes. I grew up here and back then the state was conservative - except Denver to Boulder. Not anymore - example - there were two guys who when off road with snow machines (not a snow mobile but more like a motorcycle). They got back in a "wilderness" area and a avalanche happened with one of them getting killed. People were more concerned about the animals being disturbed. Will agree they shouldn't have been back there but in reality they were not disturbing anyone - it was in the middle of the week not a high traffic area.

Anyhow - there are a few rednecks & hillbillies left.

Electricfrontporch said:
Unless your dead set on spending cash, you will still do fine with either of the machines you have.

Noah

Thanks - will have to ponder that. I figured detectors might have improved a lot ... especially with all the technology advances.

Again thanks!!

its a lucky dip pick out all those in the running put them on a board close your eyes and throw a dart then spend a heap of hrs with the detector getting to know it :biggrin: or get a couple coils for the ones you have...??

no one can tell you the best detector for you but at that price point they all have strengths and weaknesses its just how it is.

AJ

Well like has been said the Teknetics T2 Classic and Fisher F75 are the top picks at your price point. These are 7 to 10 year old designs that have been kept up to date with software improvements to increase stability around EMI sources and better target processing. If you are an old school beep and dig type guy that likes to just eliminate the iron with a low disc setting and dig it all the T2 Classic is for you. The Fisher F75 is designed for the guys that coin hunt with the varied audio tone settings, it also works just fine as a beep-dig machine too.

Tom

I know they're a new company, but maybe consider a nokta or makro?
The original racer is 500, and the racer 2 is more but you can find a deal.
Nokta fors core is great too but a little more, but can also be bought used.
The relic is fantastic and a crazy deep machine.

But on the American side I'd have to vote for a vaquero for depth relic hunting or the Tesoro outlaw for more coin and jewelry hunting. If bought new they have the lifetime warranty or you can spend less and go used, but no warranty.

P.s. if you haven't already and you're the original owner if contact Tesoro to let them know you moved here so they can update your warranty.

The only thing that was stopping me from buying a new detector this year was: "am I buying last years detector". The new detectors did not offer anything new so I went with what I didnt have already. I run 3 detectors and they all do different things. That being said, they all work and you just have to get confident with them. I have fun with mine and dont ever expect to turn a profit. So consider other things you can spend money on you might enjoy better. My wife knows I like shovels and hammers lol.