Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday finds..

Eric

Went out for a short while this morning and made some nice finds! All found in a small farmfield...

Thanks for looking, Eric.

WTG, Eric. Those are some nice finds. What kind of coins are those? Dutch? Roman? Is that a key underneath the belt buckle. I wonder why people lost so many belt buckles. I found a bunch of those when I first started out metal detecting, but got in a cleaning frenzy and threw a couple 5 gallon buckets of junk like that in the dumpster. Did not think of recycling.

We find a lot of buckles at old homesteads that were abandoned or burned. All that's left of the belt or harness is the buckle.

John

I never even considered the buckles were from harness used to control the work horses and mules. Probably oxen, too. That explains a mystery to me. I just hope I did not throw away any old shoe buckles. Thanks, John. My mom's & dad's sides of the family farmed with horses and mules. Logged with them, too. Mostly for firewood, tho. It only takes 2-3 generations for all the knowledge accumulated over the centuries to be lost.

Hi Wendell,

the coins are 18th century Dutch and German. They look a little pale but after the parafine treatment they look clear and shiny! The item below the buckle is a part of a cross I GUESS:shrug:

We had a nice time on that field. Too bad Wendell.... otherwise you could have been here soon! Try to make it next year:biggrin:

Thanks, Eric.

I'm hoping and praying to make the trip next year, Eric. I saved some Dutch Gilders that I never turned in for exchange in 1997 and I always bring about 65-70 Euros home with me. The Guilders are not worth anything, they're just sentimental reminders of my 1st trip to Amsterdam in 1997. The Euros will get me to my hotel and lunch or breakfast and I usually leave my bag at Central Station until I get checked in. It's a real bummer hauling a bag around and the hotel won't let you check in until 2:00PM. The Rho Hotel is like that, but the two times I stayed there, they gave good service. It really would make a trip worthwhile to find some rare coins. If it's bitter cold or rain, I use the trams. Otherwise, I walk around a lot. It did not take long to learn to stay out of the bicycle lanes, even if you are a country boy. Happy Hunting and hope to see you next year. I would like to hit the beaches next July or August, but more than likely, I will head that way in October or November of 2011, when the travel rates are lower.