Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday hunt with Guvner :detecting:

I woke up Guvner Sunday morning and convinced him to drive me out into Illinois for some hunting. What a swell guy! :thumbup:
We spent some time hunting a fairground and comparing signals between my older Explorer models and his new CTX. Guvner also hooked me up with the new Lithium Ion battery from RB Innovations, since most of my old rechargeables are in sad shape. I'm on vacation next week, and I'll embark on another road trip, so I need some reliable power for the reliable Explorer!

We spent about 6 hours hunting time and comparing signals.... I am interested in the new CTX out and today was my first opportunity to see it in action. I liked a couple things about it right off the bat - The balance of the machine was amazing... it was like swinging a twig! That definitely would be a welcome relief for all-day hunting. Also the 4 tones seemed to have real good potential for sniffing out items in iron infested areas. It sounded good with iron having a distinctive tone instead of a null. I found a few deep signals that my Explorer would hit pretty faintly, and the CTX sang out pretty loud over them. It seemed to want to go at least 2 inches deeper into the ground we were hunting than my machine. I definitly saw enough of the CTX to get my interest piqued pretty good... and seriously think about acquiring one. But for now, the trusty old Explorer didn't let me down.

There were plenty of signals to dig and we both got some old targets. I ended the day with 6 silver dimes, 2 V nickels and an Indian cent, plus a dozen or so wheaties. Many of these items were 7-8 inches down in tough ground, so few of them sounded very good. I really had to work to get these and hunt REAL slow. At the end of the day my new Lithium Ion battery pack still registered a full charge! That's encouraging... I would have been through 2 old rechargeables or a set of alkalines in that hunting span. I'll report on how long it goes on my road trip hunting. It sure will be nice not having to stick a back up battery in my pocket everywhere I hunt.

The keepers are in the photo. Take care and HH! Stay tuned for the road trip report in about 12 days!
Mike.

[attachment 247253 21oct12finds.JPG]

Glad to see you posting Mike.

Sounds like you and the Guv. had a good time and a really nice hunt together.
Congrats to both of you on a great hunt.

today was my first opportunity to see it in action
I have yet to see one in action and I am very envious. :sadwalk:

The balance of the machine was amazing... it was like swinging a twig
Now that in itself is of huge importance.

[quote I found a few deep signals that my Explorer would hit pretty faintly, and the CTX sang out pretty loud over them. It seemed to want to go at least 2 inches deeper into the ground we were hunting than my machine][/quote]

That means at getting another 2' in depth (If my conditions would imitate yours) I would need to re-hit sooo many spots AGAIN.
That is a big difference in depth for clarity on a signal especially if you where both swinging 11" coils that come stock on both.

I say hats off to Minelab for advancing the detector Technology. :clapping:

I look forward to reading your next road-trip post.

Hey Mike,

What direction are you heading for the road trip?

I'm also pondering a CTX. Haven't seen one in action but have several sites I would like to give it a try.

Chris

The group think (Just a small group at that..) over here will bump all the posts on top of yours... :D

But thanks for waking me up.. And letting me drive.. And managing to out hunt me. Thanks for chasing me out of the fill areas though. Nice of you to share... :)

That one green wheatie I called you over for was just a shade over 10.5 inches. I just measured where I marked it on the Raptor shovel.

G..

n/t

Nice to get out before the ground freezes and find a good group of keepers.

n/t

Nice group of dimes Mike. Not to mention the V-nickels, IH cent and dozen wheats. If Guv is still using one of the Search modes I emailed him, the one you "heard" is likely a Ferrous - Coin separation mode using Combined audio. Combined audio breaks the screen down into 5 "bins". One bin is below where you set the ferrous line. And the other four are parallel to one another, above the ferrous line. You can assign the parameters of each bin, as well as the pitch of each tone. If a target has a ferrous value that places on or below the ferrous line, you get the tone associated with that bin. In the case of iron, it will be a 100 Hz tone. But when a target has a ferrous value that would move it above the ferrous line, the CTX analyzes the conductive properties. Then, based on those CO properties, the target is associated to one of the four condutive bins, providing the frequency of audio response you establish with personalized settings. HH Randy

n/t