Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday Made For 2nd Day Of Of Silver Treatments To Cure Cabin Fever. Pic...& A Bit Of Land Hunting Using PP Mode On GT...

Critterhunter

[attachment 259388 IMG_2086.jpg]

Yesterday continued my excursions to shake off cabin fever and search for some silver. The pic above shows a Washington, a Rosie, a Merc, some wheats, and 4 mystery coins sitting off by themselves, two or three of which were about 8 to 8.5" deep (measured precisely). I'm hoping at least one of them turns out to be an indian once I clean them up better for inspection under a loop. The 1964 Rosie, if it's a double die error, is worth some decent change, but I haven't looked under a loop yet to see if I might have one of the lucky ones. Doubtful anyway, but I'll check it sooner or later here. Too bad that man's bracelet wasn't gold. That would be some major bling in gold weight. It gave me a 169 (highest tab # 99% of the time for me).

Saturday and Sunday I've been working a large mowed grass area, so I wanted to try my hand at some pin point mode hunting to more quickly cover ground, looking for any hints of deep whispers, and then once heard I'd stop, use my remote PP switch to flip back to disc, and wiggle right over the target to see if it sounded through. In some situations, due to either extreme depth or even a target not very deep but the site has very bad mineralization, unless you get centered right over a target in disc and wiggle it might not ever break through a null, or might not even change the threshold at all to draw your attention to something to check out.

I have already been a convert as to using PP to hunt a mineralized beach, to both gain PI-like depth and also to bust through the minerals better, where at one beach coins at only 5 or so inches deep were either choking or nulling out completely in disc, unless I got right on top of them and tried to wiggle out a tone and ID. With PP, I can glance a target without directly hitting over it and PP will pronounce that it sees something to stop and inspect further.

The trick is, if PP is sounding off to a target that, based on how loud the PP response sounds, might be deeper than disc can see *for that given sites minerals, or even for disc's depth in good ground*, then you might want to consider digging it even if disc doesn't provide a response. Often I can tell already, with my short time using PP, what is iron and what is not based on at least 3 or 4 different target responses PP will report.

Yesterday and Saturday, just about every time I heard a target in PP that I was sure was iron, when I flipped back to disc it confirmed in fact it was. About halfway through the day yesterday I was getting so confident as to what was an iron response in PP, that I started to not even flip back to disc to confirm things.

Yes, PP mode sure lets you scan more ground faster, althought with the 12x10 in disc I can often swing as fast as what you might call a higher side of a medium speed for a Whites and still hear a target at depth and also unmask in heavy trash or iron. In fact, at some sites when I find a fringe depth target if I slow down to the Minelab 4 second crawl I can't even hear the target anymore. Not sure if it's the GT, the 12x10, or my minerals, but the fact is doing a long general "hunting for my next target" sweep over fringe depth stuff at various speeds only a decently fast medium speed will see it.

So anyway, happy I've got some silver already for the year. Thus far, with my first two hunts of the new year shown in pic below...

[attachment 259389 IMG_2111.jpg]

That netting me a barber dime the first hunt, the seated quarter, two mercs, a buffalo nickel, along with a gold chain the second hunt of the season...

Combined with Saturday's hunt where I popped the silver Washington and standing liberty quarters and two mercs and a rosie (pics didn't come out)...

And now with yesterdays 1 merc, a rosie, and another Washington quarter...

My silver count this new year has been 1 seated quarter (destroyed and dateless), 1 standing liberty quarter, 2 Washingtons, 1 barber dime, 5 mercs, 2 rosies, 1 bufallo, and 1 gold chain, with the possibility of one or two of the deep 8+ inches mystery coins being an Indian perhaps, all found using the 12x10 on my GT. Not too bad of a start for the new season for a total of 4 hunts, excluding the short 1 hour hunt I did just to try out the 8" Tornado real quick.

My silver count for the new years is a grand total as of right now of 12 silvers. Not too bad. I've had much slower starts in the past.

Awesome Critter! Thanks for the PP info. I have always meant to try it, but your post has now made it a definite try.
Take Care
HH
Jason

Critter, nice way to start a pre spring search.LOL good cure for cabin fever.The ground here is a mess,hopefully I'll get to search in a couple of days.Thanks for sharing.HH Ron

Nice finds critter! I can't wait for the rest of the snow to melt so I can get out hunting. My fever is getting worse lol

Thanks everybody. For somebody who is said to never hunt and has no experience, despite owning/using many detectors over roughly 20 years along with 3 years or so on the GT, I guess I ain't doing too bad for the new year thus far, being an inexperienced newbie who never hunts that is... :biggrin:

All the stuff thus far this year in 4 hunts has been with the GT and 12x10, but I'm itching to break out my new 7.25" Tornado and work some heavy trash/iron areas with it and see how it does at unmasking stuff that even the 12x10's laser sharp left/right separation might not find unless I hit a coin with a ring of trash around it at just the right angle.

Only used the 8" Tornado an hour thus far but was impressed with what I saw so far. Not sure yet how sharp it's DD line is, but no doubt it'll outshine any larger coil in lengthwise separation, and that can make all the difference when trash is forming somewhat of a boarder all the way around a coin in the middle, unless you manage the DD line on a larger coil to where it misses all else but the coin from just the right angle of gridding.

Just that where I've been going right now is wide open area with low trash or iron, so in that case coverage and depth is primary, although I'm hearing the 8" Tornado is rather deep for it's size and my initial testing is showing it only lacks about 1/2 to 1" of depth of the 10" Tornado. Very impressive, but will need to contrast that in the ground in the field with it to firm things up.