Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday Old Homestead 3khz coil....

coinsh00ter

Wow, this coil is hot on silver,copper and brass. I worked the old homestead again. Posted the junk pic. Lots of copper and brass junk, and a marble! I think marbles are the best omen for a good hunt, shows activity and kids, both mean silver! This is by no means all of the junk, I didn't include any of the giant iron chunks. Also I found about 5 samples of the copper wire in the photo.

[attachment 87094 413junk.jpg]

I parked in the field about 50 yards from where the old home sat. I worked my way up to the homesite, and dug the normal junk. The 3 khz coil seems to either null iron or give a solid 46, not much jumping around. About an 1/2 hour into the hunt, I hit the quarter. It was about 5 inches down, and id'ed at 42. No mistaking it was a coin, I had a feeling it could have been an aluminum can by how much the machine was popping off, but the id or tone did not waiver.

[attachment 87095 413quar.jpg]

My uncle pulled up to see how I was making out, and he gave me a better layout of the farmhouse and were the barns once stood. Shortly after I found the merc, where the front yard would be. Again, a hot signal. This coin was about 6 inches and it popped off like a clad quarter on the surface.

[attachment 87096 413merc.jpg]

I was digging any reasonable signals, but what I am finding is all my keepers (and junk made of keeper material) are solid repeatable tones, regardless of what the id says. Iron will give the broken up tones, jumping from low to high. I am using four tones.

I found the best way to determine if it is made of coin material is the simple coil shake. So far if it has been brass, silver, or copper, I have found that if you put the coil over a potential target and don't move it, you will get some response. A simple shake from side to side will tell you what you have. If it locks on to a target number, I dig, and it will be a desirable metal. If the target nulls, or jumps around, it has always been iron, or a hot rock. Also, a signal from a desirable metal doesn't "move". By "move" I mean that a "44" number doesn't seem to id on one spot, then move an inch over, etc. The desirable metal targets always stay put.

So I was detecting about an hour, and started back to my car. I hit a super solid tone. Dug down about a foot and found an old style Budweiser Can. The only other junk I find at this farm are Pepsi Screwtops, because they used to have a machine, and everyone threw the tops out to the tractors. I know, I worked there 20 years ago. A little further down another solid target, seem to strong to be a coin, but dug anyway. I hit the top of a pipe about a foot down that still seem to be connected to something. It would no budge so I let it be.

About 10 feet in front of my car, I hit a solid 42. No mistaking this hit, it had to be something significant. No hot rocks or iron on this signal. Then I dug the sterling pen knife. I didn't damage it, it must have been gone over a time or two with a cut harrow. I have found some nice coins, including a US half dime, but if this item wasn't damaged, it would have been my best find so far.

[attachment 87099 413pkn1.jpg]

[attachment 87098 413pkn2.jpg]

In the junk photo is a clump of whitish stuff, which is a glob of lead. I also dug bits of lead that are a pain in the arse, to identify and sort out of the soil.

This coil is definitely hot on silver, copper, and brass. It does not lock onto iron like the 7.5 and 18.75. Iron either nulls or large pieces lock on at "46". I think the coil is ideal for farm field hunts. I want to try it at a local park and see how it handles large amounts of pop tops and aluminum junk.

Dave in NJ

Great finds, gotta love that silver. Thanks for the report on the 3kHz coil. I've been waiting for someone to give a good description of how it works. I'm interested to see how it handles the junkie areas.

Good hunting, John K

[size=large]Super finds and thanks for posting the abilities of the 3KHz coil! I have yet to receive my X-70 (orderd from Alaska Mining in Anchorage) but when I get it this week, it's coming with the 5x10 and stock coil...my next two coil additions will be the 3KHz, 10.5 7KHz and maybe the 6" 18.75 KHz. I'm so pumped and ready to start learning the X-70!

Happy Hunting,
Angie
[/size]

I've always said it was an excellent choice for farmsites. Particularly in areas with low to moderate mineralization. Good to know that someone else also hears that different tone that is produced with iron. Did you happen to use it in multi-tone mode? That even makes it more pronounced to my ears. HH Randy

I received this coil on a trade with Ex-Sox for my 18.75mhz. Great person to deal with, thanks!