Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday's Pre-Civil war relic hunt button id help too...

Gonehunting

I can't quit going out to this river crossing that continues to produce Dragoon buttons.. Sunday was different. I did find a Dragoon cuff button and a Great Coat button.
9J1aY.jpg

6uRxv.jpg

Then the really odd and old finds started showing up. Everyone of these were in about a 5 yard square.. Most were at the 5-6in range in hard red clay..
First was this smash lead that was originally rolled up. I almost put it in my junk pouch, when I remembered a smashed lead ball that I had found. Someone had carved a fish out of it and cut little scales on it..So I unrolled this find and this is what it looks like.. Now I have looked at this thing with a loop, in a blowed up picture and it looks like an Eagle's head. Where the hole is, is about where his eye would be...Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything remotely close to this...
TxW75.jpg

I have it posted again in the last photo to give a general reference size to it.

It was at about 6 inches and below it about another two was this broken pewter spoon.
NpgqL.jpg

Next to this hole was another piece of smashed lead the looks to have a pattern on it.
Hblx7.jpg

The back also has a pattern of some sort..It looks deliberate, not chance. Almost like words, maybe a seal?...
o2j79.jpg

My next couple finds are buttons.
One is this 14mm size 1 piece button. It still has some of the gilt left on it although it doesn't look gold more like silver. I have found one of these before but donated it to a local museum. This one has a silver type color on the back also. No Backmark that I can see.
The button doesn't match up to anything in Albert's book, except old Infantry regiment buttons from 1815-1821. Although none are an exact match. The leg looks different, the Eagle's head is the major difference.. None seem to look anything close to it.. Hoping someone reading this knows about this button.
h8L1q.jpg

You can't tell in the photo but where the red is its shiny underneath.. I started cleaning it under water with a brush and noticed it was coming off so I stopped.

The next was this U.S William Pinchin Button. 1827.
ahseO.jpg

Backmark W.P. Phila
1Vcp3.jpg

I find shirt buttons all the time but this one is total different. About 14mm front looks plain.
gfKDh.jpg

Back has some sort of backmark but is really deteriorated.
Ys4AC.jpg

Also was this 12mm flat button. I have found two of these in the last 2 days. It has a hump in the middle and the shank on the back is larger than normal. I think it is pewter...It has mold marks on the back.
0OfNA.jpg

hRpBO.jpg

MrzFA.jpg

Here are all the finds from that hunt. I appreciate the views and if anyone can help me id some of these I would appreciate it..
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Thank you..

Nice finds.

The small 14 mm button looks a little bit like a pre-Civil War "kepi" button...not sure, but it may be...

Didn't mean to dredge up such an old post, but thought I'd offer a thought on that button, since no one else did...

Steve