Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunray 12 inch coil for CZ

cometguy

Has anybody had experience wth the Sunray 12 inch coil for CZs? Does it add a true depth gain or is it more pain than it is worth? Anybody have real life experiences with it?

Don

I have three FZ-12's. It's been awhile since I did a comparison test, so I can't quote you numbers. I also have two 8" and two 10 coils also. The 12 in goes deeper.

FZ-12 is essentially permanently attached to my CZ6A for beach work. I don't have head to head numbers on the various coils either, but I've recovered good targets very deep with the FZ-12.

The FZ-12 is a thin profile coil, so when I work the edge of the water with it, there is not too much water drag. If I had an extra one, I'd probably wire it to a CZ-21 for water work.

I found nothing deeper than with my 10.5-but that could mean I may not have hit anything that because nothing was deeper; Bill Ladd told me he had hit targets deeper.
Two things about the Big 12: it is heavier and my arm was like lead after 45 minutes; in my area I found the ground balance to be more critical-I hit a hot rock (never happened before) with it,
my friend's CZ did not pick it up (I was at the preset position on ground balance.)

Sunray is deeper and more coverage....have to admit the 10.5 Fisher likes targets on edge and pinpoints well...Not much different in actual weight but Sunray 12 seems to be tougher to swing...Actually stock 8 goes just as deep as I want to dig...Not a fan of large coils but to each his own....

Dan-PA said:
Not a fan of large coils but to each his own.

For dirt hunting, I, too, much prefer the 8 inch and in some cases the 5 inch due to target separation and masking. In really dense trash, I normally don't use the CZ.

Most of the beaches I've hunted have fewer targets and the bigger coil with more coverage becomes useful. I have hit a few beaches where the 8 inch coil is preferable. Where the waves move, the 8 inch coil does not try to drag the detector out of the hand as much as the 10.5 inch coil. The thin profile FZ-12 doesn't get pulled by the water like the 10.5 inch does; in that respect it is much closer to the 8 inch coil.

One of my CZ6a's has the FZ12 on it for beach work.

To be honest though....I still use the 8 inch coil, even in the wet sand, about 90% of the time. Coil control is of utmost importance to me when beach hunting and I feel using the Fisher 10.5 or Sunray FZ12, I don't swing even and find myself lifting at the end of each swing. I run that 8 inch coil where is scrapes the wet sand and is flat and hovering over the sand the entire swing arc.

That said, I have found the FZ is a tad deeper but tends to ID a bit differently than the Fisher coils on some targets. I think the Fisher 10.5 is a great design and since they are still available, is a much better value. Won't sell my FZ 12 though...just saying if a CZ user is looking for a bigger coil, they can't go wrong getting the Fisher 10.5. Trying to find a FZ12 coil is hard.

Had a couple not much Deeper than 10.5" Coil.
Also the Design of the 10.5" Coil makes it Hit harder on edge coins for some reason but a Beast to swing with box on rod. I still keep one around for those pounded places where deep coins may still be hiding.

I have used the 5" and up. All depends on number of targets. More targets equal smaller coil. I've loved it in open field. I would wonder around farm fields looking for pockets of targets but would always pick up random things. I also had mine made from SunRay with about 4 ft less cord to make it even lighter. Same depth as 10 1/2 but more coverage with lot less weight. Those that say it's heavy most likely had alot more coil wire than I did. Most of my personal machines have just a straight run and not a bunch of wire coiled around shaft. I'm not much on chest mount but an extension cable is easy enough if I wanted to. I've definitely swung alot less weight over the years doing that. My 2cents

I've been using the SunRay Invader 12" for many years on my CZ3D. It has greater depth capability than any of the stock Fisher coils. I average about two more inches in depth over the 10.5". Many years ago I had gone back to parks and worked some of the same grids I had previously worked and wrote off with the 10.5" Fisher coil. While going back and hunting these same areas but now with the SunRay, I dug mostly targets that where deeper than the first time. Most of the nickels,dimes and quarters found the second time around where at 10-13". There are are less coins at these depths than most people realize. Most of your coins will be found in 8" or less while working in sandy soil. Loam and clay soils will obviously be different.

There are a few trade offs. The target i.d. will be slightly less accurate and working in trashy areas can be a pain unless you slow down. Its heavy and you'll want to either chest or hip mount your control box. The SunRay coil as previously stated will go deeper ( depending on your soil and conditions), its wider and will quickly cover more ground. It pin points better than the stock coils. When working with iron masked targets it is about the same as the 10.5 Fisher, you need to circle the target and learn how to listen/decipher the tones. I don't mind digging deeper targets but it can be an arm breaker when you dig four or five deep ones, one after another, I use a small sharpened shovel as I have negative motivation for using a hand digger while hunting with this coil. At the beach, I've dug deep clad quarters in damp sand on a pretty consistent basis at around 15 -18 "

Don't let everyone confuse you with air tests. The air tests will yield a positive greater depth over the 10.5 but your soil type and soil conditions are reality and will either work with you or against you no matter what you are swinging. The real question as to if a larger coil is worth the money and if you will benefit from it is very subjective. I find it most useful in heavily hunted areas where I can find targets that were missed by other hunters.

Good Hunting to you and Long Live the Republic.