Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunray Coils

I have read, studied, and asked questions, but I am still new to Minelab and Sovereigns.

I like all that I have read about Sunray products, meters, coils, headphones......

My question is about the S-12 coil

I have seen the open style coils many times, but I just saw a soild one, what is the story on that?

Did Sunray come out with a solid first, then later the open style?

How do they compare to each other performance wise?

1362628073_s_12_coil.jpg

1362628220_sunray_s_12_solid_coil.jpg

Ok,...

I found a ton of information in another post here on the forum.

But no comparicon of the two coils performance wise.

Anyone ever own and use both of them?

Fisherfinder,I had and use a couple of the older S 12 coils,decent depth and separation.These older coils use to sell for a cheap price,but have noticed the old Sunray is selling for higher prices.Good Luck HH Ron.

The Ulta depth is the original 12 inch coil that is a bit heavier and was not waterproof. The 12 in Intruder was the newer 12 inch coil that was waterproof and lighter weight. I have used both of these coils and found both are real good and the S-12 Intruder was easier to swing and feel the depth was a bit more and to me separated better too.

Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick.

For where I will be searching I think the intruder would be the best overall choice.

But I would not turn down one of the solid coils for a reasonable price.

Thanks Ron,

Sorry about asking so many questions, but I am pretty excited about trying a Sovereign in my area.

So far I have a meter, battery holders with the adapter, a rain cover, a V clip, and the book & CD you
recommended.

I hope to have a machine in a month or so.

Without a doubt the Open black Sunray coil is the better of the two. They both have great in the ground performance but the black coil is easier to swing and waterproof. No comparison to the White coil. I would also say look into the 12x10 SEF coil. It is much lighter and has awesome target separation combined with search width. There are much posts about the SEF coil line. I also have the Sunray S-8. An awesome coil in itself as well.

HH
Jason

Fishfinder,

Keep us posted once you get your GT - I'm sure your gonna get hooked on it, then there will be another addict around... But hey, we addicts like company. :beers: It took me a little time to learn how to use my GT, and I'm always learning more from it and about it, but once you do start learning it, your life will never be the same. Good luck and HH,

Thanks Tin Fin,...

But I have my sights on an early Sovereign to learn the ropes on.

It fit's my budget, and I understand they are good machines.

With a bit of luck my early Sovereign will pay for a modern Sovereign.

I can't wait to try one of these machines.

Glad to help!