Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunray short help.

Bell

Ok so I have an se pro with a sunray probe. I bought it used and have no warranty. I've also learned a valuable lesson. I keep my detector in my car so ill have it when I want it, because of this I colapse it after every hunt to fit it in the back. I'm now realizing this is a mistake because I have a short from the lower rod pinching the sunray wire where it goes into the wire every time I slide it up to collapse it. I don't have a lot of funds at the moment and was wondering if anyone had experienced this and had pointers to fix it, or at least give me a repair cost estimate if it can't be done diy?

The best person to ask is RALPH at Sunray period. I had a problem with mine right where the wire entered the probe. Cost was about $100 to replace the coil and wire. The way they are made there isnt a real fix, they have to replace the coil and probe. I think Neal has replaced his 2 or 3 times. NEAL... you need to quit using the probe like a shovel :poke: I didnt understand where yours was damaged.... where the wire goes into the wire? If its going into the box... id say you can fix that but not in the probe without a lot of effort.

Dew

Bell hello ,you can repair it but you will spend some time and effort like Dew said and not 100% that everything will work coreckt from first time, but if you like to experiment like I go this way-- first you have to dismantle switch box, resolder sunray connector, drill out two aluminium rivets,cut shorter cable where wire damaged, resolder on switch cable, and everything ells in order back. you can try PM me for question how to repair, or sell it to me for my project! :rolleyes: good luck Stasys

Im still not certain where hes talking about the short being Stasys. If its at the probe... you have trouble. (cover your eyes Ralph). Ive cut one of those probes carefully in half with a drimel and yes they can be cut, resoldered, and put back into another piece of CPVC and TRY to seal it. Its a good project. Now if you are talking about the wire going to the BOX to the detector box, that might be an easier fix ... at least to me it would be. I dont know what your skill level is. As i said i sent mine back to Ralph... it just made since for the money and what he said he had to do. Mine was out of warranty also. Ralph will do a bang up job for you and hes fast.

Dew

Thanks guys. Stasys got it right. The wire that runs from the switch to the head unit of the machine its shorting where it goes into the upper tube. It causes the detector to false even with the probe off, but I think his instruction are correct, cut the cable shorter so the bad part is gone and re-sodder it to the switch. Hopefully I have that much cable left in there.

plus bell you can make big hole in upper rod for sunray conector and never go back to complicated construction, this short cable its very basic radio cable not a Minelab secret coil cable, you can use any for this part. if you will make hole like other do everything will be better. Stasys

I was wondering how the lower shaft, when completely collapsed, could possibly pinch the probe box wire in the upper shaft...:nerd: Well, I pulled out my lower shaft and looked with a flashlight in the upper shaft and saw a rivet sticking up in front of the probe box wire that goes to your SE head unit. There's no way the lower shaft can be slid past this rivet. In fact, I looked at the end of my lower shaft, and see where that rivet has been chewing out the end of my lower shaft. But that rivet has protected the lower shaft from reaching to the probe box wire, thank God!!

You better check your lower shaft to see if there is rivet damage on the end of it. And also check inside the upper shaft to see if your front probe box rivet is sticking up inside the shaft.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

You are like me Dan.... curious George. I dont have to, so i normally dont collapse mine very often. Plus i hate those stories about loose shafts.

Dew

good point Dan! its very hard to think all the time :please: but in this place cable can brake like near conecktor because is bend and wires can brake.