Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunscreen lotion tubes

Birdseed

Interesting about the toothpaste tubes Earthly/Jim just found. I went to my favorite beach for a swing last Friday afternoon as we had a very low tide and I was plagued by sunscreen tubes 2 or 3 inches below the sand, must have been 5 or 6 of them. What metal are these made of ? I believe it may be a tin alloy., soft and pliable, very high tone !!!
I had the volume up in the headphones because the wind was high making it hard to hear the low threshold I prefer with the Sov. Each time I came across one of these tubes it almost burst my eardrums.
Not a good day overall. Lots of steel bottle tops and only 35 cents for the day. One 20, one 10 an a 5 cent piece. Oh well that will buy me an ice cream cone next time they are on special at Mc Macs.

Pete downunder

Birdseed thanks for your post , it made me realize I was not the only one with megar finds today. 52 cents and the battery box on my musky went haywire ending my soccerfield hunt , switched to the sovereign and went to the school and was doing O K but with the 87 digree heat i withered quickly , very disapointing day, I think i found a whole can shopped and sread out in the soccer field I wish they would pick them up rather than mow over them .

Hi Pete,

Whatever the metal... they mimic a nice coin sound. I noticed they are not all toothpaste tubes but KY jelly tubes as well. ( Introduced in January 1904 K-Y Jelly's original stated purpose was as a surgical lubricant, and it was often chosen by doctors because of its natural base) These are very old tubes so I am not quite sure what was happening at this house lol. Well, after two days at the old homestead and pulling out many, many toothpaste, KY jelly tubes, junk metal, pulltabs, etc I need to take a rest by going to another hunting site. Even though I found a couple IH cents this place is a detectorist nightmare! Today ( 9-11-11 ) I went back and found a bunch of junk and around 30 cents. So on the way home this evening, I said to myself, " self, not every outing can be full of old coins, rings, buttons etc. " " some days you are going to have a junky day" And so it is. Tomorrow is another day. Hang in there Pete there is something good out there waiting for you - Jim

Birdseed said:
Interesting about the toothpaste tubes Earthly/Jim just found. I went to my favorite beach for a swing last Friday afternoon as we had a very low tide and I was plagued by sunscreen tubes 2 or 3 inches below the sand, must have been 5 or 6 of them. What metal are these made of ? I believe it may be a tin alloy., soft and pliable, very high tone !!!
I had the volume up in the headphones because the wind was high making it hard to hear the low threshold I prefer with the Sov. Each time I came across one of these tubes it almost burst my eardrums.
Not a good day overall. Lots of steel bottle tops and only 35 cents for the day. One 20, one 10 an a 5 cent piece. Oh well that will buy me an ice cream cone next time they are on special at Mc Macs.

Pete downunder

Another favorite place I go to is an old stone homestead site from mid 1800s. Unfortunately the area is littered with perforated zinc sheeting, tiny pieces ranging from 5 or 6mm and up to about 50 to 60mm. there are hundreds of pieces. I think there may have been a meat store adjacent to the main building and this stuff was use to allow ventilation but still keep the store room free of flies and other bugs. When the owner died he bequeathed the property to a field naturalists society on the proviso that all existing buildings be bulldozed. This was done as per his wishes and new club rooms built. I was asked to detect the area a few years ago, we found many artifacts which are now on display in the new club rooms, mostly agricultural - Gunnar would be proud. I have, since then upgraded to the Sov, which is so sensitive that I am swamped by the trash. I feel there is still a lot to be found on this site. May be a case for the notch filter.

Pete downunder

Wow Pete,

that sounds like a mess with zinc! Gunnar would be proud! I believe he is piecing his own museum together as we speak lol I felt like you at this home site (using notch) but the problem being is all these items fell into the high pitch coin range / 180 meter readings so it wouldn't do me one bit of good to use the notch / disc feature. Now, if there was 40 million pulltabs or aluminum bits to sift through on this site, then I would most certainly fire up the notch / disc feature. 99.9% of the time I leave my disc at zero as I want to hear everything coming through.

Since you are with the naturalists society.... you locate, they dig! lol have them clean up the whole area of zinc sheeting - tell them they are cleaning up the earth and making it "green" Then you can get down to business finding the good stuff - just a thought. "Many hands make light work" - Jim

Birdseed said:
Another favorite place I go to is an old stone homestead site from mid 1800s. Unfortunately the area is littered with perforated zinc sheeting, tiny pieces ranging from 5 or 6mm and up to about 50 to 60mm. there are hundreds of pieces. I think there may have been a meat store adjacent to the main building and this stuff was use to allow ventilation but still keep the store room free of flies and other bugs. When the owner died he bequeathed the property to a field naturalists society on the proviso that all existing buildings be bulldozed. This was done as per his wishes and new club rooms built. I was asked to detect the area a few years ago, we found many artifacts which are now on display in the new club rooms, mostly agricultural - Gunnar would be proud. I have, since then upgraded to the Sov, which is so sensitive that I am swamped by the trash. I feel there is still a lot to be found on this site. May be a case for the notch filter.

Pete downunder