Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surf detector

artman60

Hi, I am thinking, ( long range) of getting a saltwater/wet sand surf detector. I will not be diving, wading only. Thoughts on the AT PRO vs Infineon vs Surfhunter, I would have no doubts the Infineon is the best of the three, but will it be significantly better for what I'm gonna use it for?

Nothing wrong with the MKII Sea Hunter; Easy to use excellent depth and sensitivity and is primarily a salt beach and scuba machine.
The Infinium is more versatile in that it will handle the gold fields iron mineralisation. There is not much difference in detection depth and sensitivity between these two detectors. The discrimination on the Sea Hunter is of limited use.
Both of these detectors can be a bit noisy in the waves at times but once you have mastered the machine this will cause you less and less problems.
The PIs will suffer from suburban elec interference and make inner city play grounds and parks difficult to detect for coins. For this you will need the small DDs.

The AT Pro is a nice detector for the beach and is a great general purpose coin and relic detector but will not detect as deep as the two PIs on the salt beaches. It does have discrimination if you are not a dig everything person. This detector has a strong following.

Just my opinion, Not Gospel

I use an AT-Pro for wading. It's very good in fresh water, pretty good on the dry sand of a salt water beach but from wet sand to wading it will lose some depth. It will make finds there but not anywhere as deep as a dedicated beach machine. You also need to make sure and take it completely down to get all the salt cleaned out after a salt water hunt. Just hosing it off is not enough.

It seems like the limit in salt water is around six inches where I hunt but we do have some black sand in the mix. The AT can struggle if there's a lot of black sand. The AT-Gold might just work better there but I don't have direct experience with one. Maybe someone else can speak for their abilities on the beach.

As for me I would like a dedicated beach and dive machine but for now if it's more then ankle deep I work with my AT-Pro!

Thanks for the replies, This is long term wish list, ( but doable) After talking to HVAC guy today, it appears new system is gonna happen way before new detector, ( or at least new to me). Artie