Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surfmaster Dual Field Coil Opened

lucar

Hello,

I found these pictures in a local forum of a surfmaster dual field coil opened.

That shoud explain why this coil is so buoyant... too much empty space and a wrong filler.

Who knows what the free floating white cable stands for in the third picture?

Cheers
Lucar

2e4yhhz.jpg

2ldeveb.jpg

2v82z9f.jpg

So that's why it floats. That air space would have it floating for sure.

I am now wondering if filling that space with epoxy resin would negate any tendency to float?

Epoxy filled coils are neutrally buoyant in salt water and sink slower than a rock. Foam filled coils float. Surfmasters were made with a choice of two coils. The lightweight foam filled coil for dry wet sand hunting and the epoxy filled coil for diving/water hunting.

Hello,

as far as I know only the Whites Surfmaster Pi and PI PRO have a choice of two coils.

The Dual Field comes just with one : a buoyant coil, even if Whites is selling it as a "neutrally buoyant" coil.

I had an exchange of emails with Whites U.K. and they insist the Dual Field has a "neutrally buoyant" coil.

The reality is the coil is buoyant, period.

I'm also asking myself if the grey filler compound that I see in the pictures could be a conductive shield.
The white cable that I see protruding from the upper shell SEEMS to have been taped to the bottom one.

I've no other explanations for that..

Cheers
Lucar

This may mess up your coil and for sure void the warranty on it, but could you trim off the plastic edge extending past the epoxy. This might help to get the air out and at the same time make it like a slim-line type version of the coil. I don't have one of these so i'm just guessing. Good Luck!

The epoxy is not conductive, both shells are coated with a conductive paint. The exposed wire was embedded in the shield paint on the lower shell.

Epoxy can be made in a variety of specific gravities, from light & floaty to heavier than water. White's uses lightweight epoxy in its land loops to, well, keep 'em light! We used to get water loops filled with a heavy epoxy at a local company. Unfortunately, we started using the lightweight epoxy which makes the loops too buoyant. The leftover air space doesn't help. I'm trying to introduce heavy epoxy into our production.

- Carl

Hello,

thanks for the explanation.

You said "we"... are You producting coils for Whites?

Thanks for Your help
Cheers
Luca

I had a Beach Hunter ID and it used the same style coil and it to is supposed to be neutrally bouyant however try keeping it down in shallow water....forget it!

Carl-NC said:
The epoxy is not conductive, both shells are coated with a conductive paint. The exposed wire was embedded in the shield paint on the lower shell.

Epoxy can be made in a variety of specific gravities, from light & floaty to heavier than water. White's uses lightweight epoxy in its land loops to, well, keep 'em light! We used to get water loops filled with a heavy epoxy at a local company. Unfortunately, we started using the lightweight epoxy which makes the loops too buoyant. The leftover air space doesn't help. I'm trying to introduce heavy epoxy into our production.

- Carl
Hi Carl i want to make similar shield to my homemade coil so i wonder should i put this wire in the middle?
Regards.