Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

surprised by a small boy

Ed Steinhoff

About a year after first being bitten by the detecting bug I had to take a crew of amishmen and a pre built cabin from colo to Indiana for assembly as a hunting camp.
Since I was not much of a carpenter and the only driver I often made supply trips to town as supplemental materials were needed.
On one such trip I noticed a nice city park with a good sized chip lot.
After obtaining what I needed for the job, I hit the chip lot for a quick hunt.
Shortly after getting started a station wagon (remember the original family suv?) pulled in with several children in it.
With much delight they started playing on the equipment on the other side from where I was detecting.
All of them that is except one little boy about nine or ten, who began watching me intently.
Having had a couple of bad experiences with little boys wanting to "help" me detect, I avoided him and tried to hunt away from him but he continued to follow me
around but never came right up to me.
After awhile thier mother said time to go and they all ran for the car. When my obsever got to his mother at the car, I noticed him engaging his mother in serious conversation
Wherupon she handed him something and he rushed over and ,handed me a quarter and said "I hope this helps mister" and back to the car he ran.
As I watched them drive away in humbled shock I thought "never let the size of the package estimate the size of the human heart"!
Ed in Colo.

Glad I had some Kleenexes near by.
I think you should hang on to that quarter.
Ron in WV

About a year after first being bitten by the detecting bug I had to take a crew of amishmen and a pre built cabin from colo to Indiana for assembly as a hunting camp.
Since I was not much of a carpenter and the only driver I often made supply trips to town as supplemental materials were needed.
On one such trip I noticed a nice city park with a good sized chip lot.
After obtaining what I needed for the job, I hit the chip lot for a quick hunt.
Shortly after getting started a station wagon (remember the original family suv?) pulled in with several children in it.
With much delight they started playing on the equipment on the other side from where I was detecting.
All of them that is except one little boy about nine or ten, who began watching me intently.
Having had a couple of bad experiences with little boys wanting to "help" me detect, I avoided him and tried to hunt away from him but he continued to follow me
around but never came right up to me.
After awhile thier mother said time to go and they all ran for the car. When my obsever got to his mother at the car, I noticed him engaging his mother in serious conversation
Wherupon she handed him something and he rushed over and ,handed me a quarter and said "I hope this helps mister" and back to the car he ran.
As I watched them drive away in humbled shock I thought "never let the size of the package estimate the size of the human heart"!
Ed in Colo.
I believe it because the same thing happened to me, recently. The kid thought I needed money and was perplexed when I told him it was a hobby……
Tony

I’ve had small’uns come up and get inquisitive as well. If they look like 6-7 or younger I tell them I’m listening for worms. This gets their little minds working and most of the time its followed by Why? I explain worms can smell coins and rings and if I can hear them calling for the other worms then I dig and find the coin. At this point I’ll dig the first coin signal and I instantly become a super hero.
If older, say up to 10 then I’m more likely to be more truthful but still can spoof them a little. I had an adult “blonde” female I told I was listening for worms and she wanted to get her husband over to me because he fishes, I had to leave. 😂😂