Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surprised

Paul (IL)

I don't get surprised easily having hunted over 45 yrs and using about every detector out there but yesterday I went to a small picnic spot by a local lake that I and others have hit several times and found several old wheat pennies. Now the finds were not to significant other than the fact they were passed over by several very good detectors. This is actually the first time I can say I took a new machine to a spot and found coins I know I missed with what is considered some of the best machines out there. The area is cluttered with all types of trash making it hard to identify good targets. I am very impressed with the Deus. One of the pennies was the length of my pro pointer deep.:shocked:

In my area the Deus likes to pick up coins laying on edge against a concrete sidewalk. Most of the time they are pennies, but I commonly find them 7-9" deep with Reactivity between 2 and 3. There may be more coins deeper than that - I've never tried for coins below 10" around a sidewalk or driveway.

You'll keep finding goodies in the densest of trash - keep at it! Many of the coins you'll find with the Deus will be in the hole along with ferrous objects - this is especially true when you hunt areas using reactivity of 3 or 4 in the worst of trash! Happy hunting!

CZ,

If you don't mind sharing what other settings and Freq are you using to make those finds?

Everything I've found below 7" I was using a variant of Andy's HP coin program which is set up like so:

Reactivity = 2
Silencer = 1
TX = 2
8 kHz
Iron Vol = 0
Sens = 85
Disc = 2.3
Full Tones
Audio Response = 3

Keep in mind I'm using the 11" coil - the deepest coin so far was a Wheat at 9" (the length of a Garrett ProPointer) which only gave a repeatable high tone (in the above program) but IDed at 96. I couldn't get it with Reactivity at 3 but I could tell a difference in the "threshold" when scanning the target - makes me think there's more deep goodies at that house but if it ever stops raining I can go check!!!

When Reactivity is set at 3 or higher don't expect to get the smaller coins like dimes or small cents below 7" - but AT 7" you'll get them...don't rely too much on the VDI - go by tone instead. Dig those iffy targets in the beginning to see what the software is trying to tell you - many times it's sniffing out a coin within trash. If you get a good, solid VDI in one direction and then go 90 degrees to resweep and the VDI changes a little bit...DIG IT! If after you get a solid signal with good VDI then go 90 degrees and no signal...odds are it's iron...but not always! However, there are subtle differences in tonal quality with some targets which I can't describe with text so the best teacher on those iffy targets is plain ol' field time.

If you've ever replaced a caliper or a brake line on a car you usually have to replace those copper crush washers as part of the job. Deus LOVES those things! Anything round or round-ish and non-ferrous and this detector is all over it - sometimes steel flat washers ring in kinda hot but I feel that the next software upgrade may help with this...

I've never deviated from 8 kHz since the EMI in my neighborhood makes this the best search frequency at least here. However, I also haven't found any gold (yet) - although I dig almost every signal except iron. Good luck!

Thanks CZ, I have that one on my Deus also and like you tend to use 8kHz as my primary search frequency. Coming from a CTX I tend to use 3-5 tones, one of these days I will spend time with full tones to see if I can handle it.

I was using the factory Deus fast program and only changed the freq to 12Khz