Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surpriseing Result

D-Tex

Have been running some tests with my new Gold Bug 11 and my old Garrett Stinger to see how they
compare on small targets; I tested both with several different size gold rings ( one is a babies ring
that weights 2.1 grams ) and a small piece of gold that weights 0.03 grams. Both detectors was
able to detect all, but I found that the Stinger would detect every target at a farther distance. This
was the first surprise I had, then I scanned two different assay lab, certified samples, of ground
silver ore that they were kind enough to send me for some testing I was doing, one sample was
assayed at .023 oz/t that weighted 2.91 g the other one assayed at .023 oz/t and weighed in at
6.31 g both were in a small plastic bag that they were sent from the lab in. Much to my surprise
the GB11 would not detect them, even when I used both at one time. The real surprise was that
the Stinger would detect both, no matter if it was one at a time or both at the same time!
The Stinger would detect the samples up to one inch from the coil, but the GB11 would not even if
I wiped the coil with it. Both machines used there smallest coil, 3x5. Tests were air test, indoors
and both detectors had there coil hanging clear off the table used, and both used in the same place.
Both detectors were used in A/M but I also tried the Stinger in its TR mode but with no results at all.
Surface area of the samples were 2" x 1 1/4" x 1/4" for the 6.31 g sample and 2" x 1/2" x 1/16" for
the small 2.1 g sample. As both of these samples were prepared by the lab I don't know what mesh
size they are but I tried my 80 mesh and none of it would pass through it; maybe its 50 or 60.

The results of this test gives me some ideas on sampling that I never considered before, will have
to obtain some for other minerals first to see how they do.

Don't know what other minerals were in the AG samples, but I doubt if the Stinger was detecting the silver. That small percentage (.023 per ton) of Silver in the ore, ground fine would be undetectable. The GB2 has a much higher freq. than the stinger an will detect a smaller piece of gold. The higher freq. of the GB is more sensitive too gold. The Stinger was OK in its day, but "ate batteries". and the detector had to be opened up to change em.

Air tests prove absolutely NUTTN' and are a total waste of time. How many nuggets ya found in the blue sky. Detectors are rated by their ability to ground balance out horrendous ground mineralization and hot rocks, all of which has nuttn' to do with air. To test bury in the ground mixed in with lotza black sands and the "real" testing begins as that Garreet ain't even a gonna come close to that GB2 abilities to GB-John

I have to laugh, I have both machines, the GB2 finds smaller gold BUT there are places it just won't ground balance with enough sensitivity to find gold. I then try Scorpion, the lower sensitivity sometimes allows me to hunt. You lose the tiny nuggets but you can still hunt.

I have only found 2 places where my GB2 wouldn't ground bal. and nothing else I tried there would either including a TDI & a ML3500, don't have a, Stinger, I would be very surprised if a scorpion would either, if it did I would sure want one.

I would be very surprised if a

You say you don't own a Stinger but yet you say it "eats batteries " I do and it don't !

You also say you don't think it could detect that small amount of silver but it did, but

of course sense you never owned one you would have no way of knowing what this

machine is capable of; but again I do ! The small size of the test samples leaves no

room for " some other mineral in a large enough amount to cause the detector to sound

off, Yes its an out dated design but that has nothing to do with what it was designed to

do and has done for many years and is still a good one to those of us that own it and

use it. Try one you just might learn that for your self.

As for ground balancing, any machine can have a problem with it in the right area,

however, this test was not about ground balancing, and as far as one able to detect

deeper than the other I'll pick the scorpion over the GB11 any day,

I never said that I had never owned a scorpion, I said I did not currently own one, I used the scorpion years ago when they first came out. In fact I have owed two of them. and as I recall the 2 9v batteries lasted 2 to 3 days of long hunting. One of them lasted longer than the other. Some of the guys in the gold fields where I hunted used to make 9v battery packs and strap them on their belts to power the scorpion. I also never said it was not a good detector, I said the GB2 would find smaller gold. ( Reread my posts 0

"The small size of the test samples leaves no room for " some other mineral in a large enough amount to cause the detector to sound off "
At .023 oz per ton( 2000 pounds) of milled ore there isn't enough silver to be detected with any metal detector I have a few pounds of silver ore (unmilled ) that runs 25 ounces per ton and it is undetectable. Do you have any idea how big a piece of silver you would have if you took all of the silver out of that whole 2000 pounds of material and melted it down into a single piece?
Like Hoser John said You ain't goin to find much in the air unless you are looking for pies.

good luck on your quest