Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sweep speed question -- application

Eddie(AL)

I've been detecting for several years, but only have 3 hunts under my belt with SE. I understand the need for a slow sweep speed to allow the FBS circuitry/software to handle target signals, with "slow" being the operative word, especially in trashy areas. Here's my question:

Would you say that in trashy areas that you need to slow the sweep speed down enough so that the threshold is able to return before hitting the next discriminated target? That only seems logical to me since going any faster would reduce the likelihood of the Explorer being able to ID good targets. Am I thinking right?

Thanks, Eddie

I go slower than slow when hunting trash infested spots. I'm talking not taking a step for 10 to 15 seconds at a time...just standing there scanning the ground in a creeping motion.
At least 75% of the deep silver coins I found this year were found in a dead null with absolutely no threshold for 5 to 7 seconds at a time.

The SE will hit coins for me when nulling if you are going slow enough to allow the signals to come through the silence.

For me its more about having the sensitivity down enough to get the smartscreen to move with all those tones. I hunt with IM at 26 and have both FAST and DEEP off, just because i dont like the chop that FAST on gives me. I push my coil more than swing it in trashy areas. There really has to be a LOT of trash for me to be nulling. Some find it better to hunt in FERR sounds with a lot of trash, but ive learned the Cond tone and am comfortable with them. Plus, to me the Cond tones and digital reading are more accurate. I dont know why everyone says this machine is slow.... if they open up their IM you can hear a LOT of targets passing under the coil. They even complain about it. So its all about picking out the correct tones to dig. On occassion i will even hunt with a pattern... i still find things i miss by doing this. Am i nulling of course.

Dew

As they've said.

Go slow enough as to your sure to hear all targets. Opening the IM to very little or no disc will help you decide.
When your ears can't take a continuous bombardment with sounds -- Slow down even more until its ok on your ears and you can hear individual sounds.

Use a small coil, and use slightly lower sensitivity, also lowering gain a few notches seems to help when in extreme trash.

Ferrous sounds are of help when the majority of trash targets are IRON related objects; i.e. nails.
Otherwise Conductive sounds are my preference.

I don't hunt in digital...and don't watch the screen. I just listen for a silver chirp to squeak through the silence.