Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Swing for reduce pain in back, elbow and shoulder

ChicagoJohn

My elbow is hurt from use too much metal detecting. I should reduce to 2 hours per day. I search in google and I found two swing. Minelab Pro-Swing 45 and Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy detector sling. Which one you like? Price is big different! Doc's is about 50 dollars plus shipping and Minelab is at least 130 dollars plus shipping!

Doc's New Ultra Swing Thingy detector sling VS. Minelab Pro-Swing 45

I am not sure to buy which one before Spring's coming! Thanks!

I just finished this debate in my head.. ended up buying a used original Swingy Thingy for $25 to see how I like it. If I do, I may get the Ultra so I have a sling for both detectors and a guest.
There are some videos and I saw and some reviews on the Minelab harness.. does not work for tall and rounder folks. It uses a rod rather than a bunge for support..
Also the ST will not work well with heavy outer gear unless you have attachements on your winter outter gear for the straps.. I mean they are basicly suspenders that have to go on last.. with overalls and a coat (assumeing you are in the feeze zone) it is hard to get to pants.. I am sure there is a work around, maybe the back pocket of the overalls.. have not tired yet, but something to think about.
Most folks I asked about the ST said they like and use it, it tends to twist at the end of the swing but you get used to it..

I have a similar problem as i use the DFX and a Pulse machine both can be used with large coils ie 18'' dia,i have and use the Docs Swingy thingy and also the Minelab GPX variation of the Pro Swing,both do a reasonable job,was able to buy the GPX harness brand new of Ebay but at a greatly reduce price but would not buy the massive price that the Proswing goes for.

What i do is use the Bungee from the Docs harness and use the Minelab Body harness and it works very well,i can swing a full heavy setup for a very long time,i also have the type of harness that Garrett use on the ATX,its a lighter setup type of harness that i use with smaller detector/coil setups anhd once again that works well,but i dont like using the Garrett one with the really heavy hitters as i find it can cause shoulder strain when used for long time durations.

The main thing when using a harness is the mounting point so that you find the perfect point of balance and not have the unit either nose or back heavy,its worth spending a little time experimenting getting the balance right as this will make it so much better when using a harness on a heavy detector.

The price of the Pro-swing harness is the killer of this unit,as if they lowered the price by a small amount they would sell so many more i feel,i can only give some input on how i use a harness and it may help others on choosing which is the best option for them.Up till early last year my detecting time duaration was getting shorter and shorter due to coming of a motor bike in the 70s,but by using a harness i can finally get a full days digging time back again.

basstrackerman said:
I absolutely hate those swingy things..i changed brands of detectors.

I was thinking about to buy lighter detector but my Etrac is so good! Last year I found four 1800's coins (one is rare 1864 two cents coin) at heavy hunted park! I was thinking of Xp Deus but for now I might buy Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy detector sling!

ChicagoJohn said:
basstrackerman said:
I absolutely hate those swingy things..i changed brands of detectors.

I was thinking about to buy lighter detector but my Etrac is so good! Last year I found four 1800's coins (one is rare 1864 two cents coin) at heavy hunted park! I was thinking of Xp Deus but for now I might buy Doc's Ultra Swingy Thingy detector sling!
My brother bought one of those swing thingy's after he got it he choose a simpler method and a lot cheaper, he made his own! see pictures below. The only other item you need for this to work is a nylon tie attached to the detector to form a small loop near the handle, the bungee just hook to the nylon tie (loop) the shoulder strap is just one from a sports bag, or other shoulder type bag. You would adjust it length to where its supporting a couple pounds of the detector.

Another idea is to get a second detector that is a 'Light Weight' you can hunt with the heavy weight for couple of hours then switch to the light weight for the rest of the day! WARNING!!! Do Not EVER start light and switch to heavy, I did that ONE TIME! never again.

Mark

I did really love the etrac..but im tall, 6'4" with long arms and an old back injury (between shoulder blades) so the etrac killed me after swinging awhile..if they make a lighter etrac i will buy...even the whites machines,mxt and v series bothered me..shorter arms would help...lol. But i changed brands..no regrets

Check out the DetectingBuddy from BarryNY at ExtremeDetecting. Great product and priced right. Use mine all the time.