Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sword logo excal try to switch new battery pod prob

scrounger

i wanted to thank kered and critter for their help on using the 8 cell alk holder to test this dead excal. IT WORKED

it did make sound but may have other issues.

now i need to know the best way to power this unit. i have read a lot of the battery posts here but still cant quite figure

what i need to do.

HERE IS MY QUESTIONS :

WHAT IS the cheapest long term solution for powering my unit excal 800. 1993 . uses nicad.and approx cost.

i want to convert away from NICADS BECAUSE OF THE MEMORY PROBLEM ,RIGHT ?

SO IM GOING TO LI ION TYPE ?

and i will need a new charger?

the unit has a battrey in a watertight compartment. am i just replacing the guts and will use the watertight compartment over

again ?

then after that i have a choice of a bundled battery pack or a holder w removable batteries ?

so if i choose the type that uses indiv batteries do i have to open the watertight compartment every time to charge them ?

and it lets me use alkalines in an emergency ?

so if im using rechargeables then the pod gets opened and they get charged on the wall charger or they are charged thru the pigtail and remain in sealed unit...

sorry this is so complicated i dont know about. my etrac is so ez to power

the cheapest thing to do is to replace the inards of the old pod with a new nimh one, try here 12027 is the pack you need, if you have an alkaline pod, one will fit in that too. Your pressent charger will charge it too although its not the best option as its a nicad charger(the new excalibur 2 has nimh batteries but still comes with the same old charger), the one on the same page is a better charger

Li-ion batteries come in preformed shapes, i don't know of any to fit the excalibur.
excalibur pods and batteries often come up in the clasifieds, also on ebay

The setup you used to test should work if the 8 cell holder fits into the pod, you can use alkalines or high mah rechargables in it
how long it gives detecting will need to be checked as opening the pod on the beach if they run short is not the best thing to do as sand gets everywhere and you might not get a good seal