Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 Trip 2, less beep, more deep

Ed in SoDak

I got out again to Pound Gulch this Sunday afternoon, with temp at 10 degrees but no wind, and it was a much better outing. I was able to quiet most of the T2's interference by going to F3, setting disc in the high 20's, and sensitivity actually higher today at 75. Since it was Sunday, it might have been electrical useage was lower than during the week. But starting out right under the powerlines (why not?) I got it settled down enough to locate a quarter ID hit. There was no digging, I didn't even bring a tool.

Basically, the T2 ran much better today and I located a few things I know I'd dig if I could.

One small signal that came in clearly on the T2, the Time Ranger was only able to pick it up in all metal, with sensitivity bumped to have a threshold noise and even then it couldn't give a depth reading or ID. The T2 said it was 10", read it clearly, ID as something "not iron" and it also pinpointed easily. Even without digging, I can see it is for sure the depth winner between these two machines. Small, deep targets were crisp and very brief in audio, mere blips. So much easier than when I was plagued with background noise by running disc at zero and other incorrect settings. Much better behaved than in my first test at this site. Even ground balancing went easier. That Fast Grab may take more practice.

I found a chunk of rusty can 6 inches square and it has an ID like a rusty bottlecap. :( Plus, it read to around 2 feet away. Most ID's were below 80 and even 70 or lower at depth, fortunately, but a number of sweeps were above 80. Ignore the bouncy stuff I guess. Or run with disc at max.

But, darn it, I forgot to check the FE reading over this target to look for FE spiking like it did on other targets! Oh well, more tests will tell once I can detect, ID and actually dig some deep stuff. That is definitely the problem with wintertime detector purchases, no digging!

By comparison, the TR puts these rusty cans at 299, which is super easy to notch out. The TR will still false on this junk, but not as bad as the T2. So it looks like I may have to put up with a lot of coin tones which I reject visually by the bouncy ID.

It did fare better at multiple targets in disc mode by using a faster sweep speed, but all metal or pinpoint picked them out as discrete blips. Just gotta watch that flipping-changing ID and try to pick the point where the good one's hitting. Or dig the nuisance targets to get them out of the way. Again, I forgot to crank up disc here or reduce sensitivity to see if the bad target dropped out, leaving the good one! There's so many things to try, it's hard to remember them all at first.

At a schoolyard, again lots of interference noise and jumping IDs when held in air, this time F2 fixed it. I detected a quarter ID which read 16", of course it was frozen hard. Some other stuff I know the TR would and probably did miss, because I've had it here recently in other tests. Digging a shallow dime, the T2 falsed constantly when laid down. I noticed the flat of the coil was aimed right at a power meter about 8 feet away. I've never had this problem with my TR at this schoolyard. Aren't some of the White's machines like this? Real high-strung, for lack of a better word. Dialing things down a bit further helped. In all fairness, this solution is suggested in the manual.

Time and practice will tell how I fare with the T2 near powerlines. It's still a winner in my book. I'm too new with it to call it either way on the interference issue. Without much trouble, I got it to run a lot quieter and smoother than any of my previous tests.

It's probably good to have some unused throttle left for when you're in the clear and able to really crank it up. My TR would run here at max, but maybe its maximum is just half-throttle on the T2.

I also remember being very frustrated with my Time Ranger at first and all the tones that turned out to be many multiple targets. I've only run into one soil type the TR couldn't handle, right here on my own property and only one place where powerlines messed with it.

It looks like the T2 will replace my Gold Bug 1 no probs, just not my faithful TR.

OK, that's it on the T2 for now, feeling better about the noise issues and slowly becoming more familiar with it. It's gonna take some actual target recovery to learn much more, but I'm still impressed. It beat my TR on a couple small, deep targets, with better ID. That's what I was hoping for, a TR on steroids. It may have some "emotional" issues, but it's a performer.

Time to wrap this essay, gonna go try and tape some T2 sounds for ya'all! Here's a pic of a couple finds we've made at Pound Gulch. Even with the trash, it's important to check out at least some of the iron!

HH
-Ed

[attachment 18539 stovedoor.jpg]