Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 vs Minelab..the story

I went out this weekend with my T2, there were 3 minelabs with my group, they included an Explorer, and Quattro and a muskateer.
All of those users had much more time on their machines than I did.

We hunted a French/Indian war fort site that has been really hit over the years, the site is badly over grown, has some of the worst soil you have ever seen and has been used as a party site also.

The Explorer did well..he found more good bits than my T2, however I found more "Better" bits than him.

Ist..the buttons came out in a very differant reading than they have anywhere else ( in the foil range)..this happened with both the T2 and the Explorer..the only "solid" hits were musket balls.

It was very cold and rained off and on, so I had to put a small freezer bag over my "read out" which made it very hard to see the readouts.

Now as I said the Explorer did find more musketballs than I, however the T2 found twice as many buttons as it did..and these being much harder to "read" in this area makes the T2 the winner.

I found 2 buttons smaller than my baby finger nail at 5-6 inches!!! All buttons were "iffy" signals.

As there was a lot of cannonball frags everywhere I choose not to hunt for them as I was interested in Buttons ect..Had I hit an iron "read out" that blew my ears out I would have dug it..hoping for a complete cannon ball. The Explorer did find on large chunk of cannonball case..about 6 pounds in weight..had I hit that I would have dug it.

Again I say the T2 proved itself. I was still on my first set of battries..that shows how little time I have had on the machine ( less than 30 hours)..and I found more, better targets. I will have to clean and look at the buttons today.
I also found some modern coins and other bits..as well as one case shot out of the water. I only hunted there walking back to the boat, and I hate digging in the water.

The other 2 minelabs turned up about 3 musket balls, part of a shoe buckle and some cannonball frags.
Well done T2!!

Have to mention the "pinpoint" on all machines was really off on this site..the Explorer had a seperate pinpointer attached to the machine..that speeded up it's hunt..I have to get one for this type of site..

In some places I had to use mu entrenching tool to "cut my way out" of areas I had gotten into..thats why I keep the blade sharpened..
Another problem was all the Canada Goose Nests...man they will attack if you get too close!!

One of the small buttons has a Tudor Rose on it..the other I can't make out untill I clean them up.

I will post a minor Heads up seperatly..need more locktight!!!

My totals were 9 buttons ( all 1760 or earlier) 5 musketballs, one caseshot, some modern coins, some large blacksmith made spikes and some other bits I have to clean to figure out.

Dean

Right on Dean,

Thanks for posting the thread, Your experience hunting this site with the T-2 shows it'll excel on those smaller iffy signals and get them deep as well. I too have noticed the T-2 will fare better than the Minelab for certain types of sites especially the older sites such as your.

Congrats,
Paul

Hi Dean,

Good finds, no matter who came out on top. Did you do any comparisons between machines on the same target?

-Ed

to really test one detector against another. Not who finds the most. Compare signals with different detectors can tell a lot...sonny

Congratulations Dean. The T2 is a great machine. I too have gone to sites where I used Minelabs and found things, it does seem hot on those small buttons. I've also found coins close to trash that I have surely overlooked before as they had been buried for a while and I've heavily hunted some of these places. The T2 has excellent performance, but where it really stands out is the lightweight and ease of use. The Explorer has a very steep learning curve. Some pick it up quickly (not many though), some pick it up with quite a bit of time, and a few never get it. This machine is damn near dummy proof if you can swing it you can learn it.
It picks out goodies from the trash as well as anything I've used (no better than anything I've previously used) has excellent depth and a great deal of flexibility. I plan on keeping mine a very long time!