Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2SE and nickels

ramairnut

Went to a small schoolyard this morning for a short hunt. I have hunted this area with previous machines, blah, blah, blah. I was running disc at 10, sensitivity at 60, 3 tones. Anyway, I dug 4 nickels (also quarters, dimes, pennies )in an hour. Four nickels doesn't sound like a lot but in a trash infested area with small pieces of aluminum, pull tabs, and small round foil discs, the T2 was able to lock on pretty good and show me where these nickels were. One hole in particular ended up having a nickel and a corroded zinc penny in it. I only dug this because the signal was jumpy but solid and depending on which direction I swung the coil over the target, it was showing ID from 50s to 70s but again, it was solid. Ended up retrieving the nickel first but of course I knew there had to be somethimg else with it. After pulling the penny out , I measured the depth of this hole and I was impressed that it was almost 6 inches deep. I am still learning the T2 but I am really liking it. Sorry for the long-winded story. Happy Hunting!

your not alone on the learning curve on the T2se ,i have had two of the green 1st generation machines in the past but this one is a very different beast .,i was out today on corn stubble a fairly clean site so i could spin the sense up to 90 ,and i prefer running it in 4 tones as any good targets sound like big ben chiming but running it hot like this does result in a lot of snap,crackle and popping the headphones i have been playing with the disc to see what actually performs best a lower disc or higher ,anyway i was gonna pack in when i thought why not and put the disc down to 2 ,the machine immediately came alive iron was giving a nice growl and the good targets became clearer and smaller and deeper ,it must be pretty close to all metal mode but with a better target i.d .love it

I have been reading/watching everything I can about this machine and have read/heard that the AM mode is suppose to hunt deeper than disc mode. I am impressed that today I was running sensitivity at only 60 and dug some targets at 5-6 inches down.Best part is that aside from the nickel/zinc penny same hole incident, the other targets were very solid even amongst trash.:detecting:

were you able to get the nickles while ignoring the other trash. I get a lot of nickel signals that end up being square tabs

Today, I didn't dig any square pull tabs and this park is full of them. In the soil where I hunted this morning, 2 of the 4 nickel signals I dug were bouncing 57-59. One was a solid 58, locked on, no bouncing. I found that if the target ID is bouncing 55-57 but a solid tone is heard, it has been a pull tab in my soil. I did dig one old beaver tail that was down around 5 inches but I don't remember the TID number. I do know that the tone was solid and was a high tone due to nickel range targets being assigned that tone when using 3 tone setting. The factory 11" coil has great separation and lightning fast recovery speed. So far, I am impressed with this T2.:clapping: I know I have a lot more to learn.

Have never liked the stock T2 coil,mine is just the original green version which i have had a long time and many many hours on the clock,if i am in a trashy environment then i will only use a smaller coil due to the high possibility of 'masking' either i will use the 5'' coil or if its not bad trash wise then the Sharpshooter coil this in my mind is the perfect combination for the T2 in my detecting scenarios.

If i am on ploughed and rolled then i use the SEF12x10 coil,once again this is a very stable combination,not only does this give me good depth and target separation but weight is not bad either,but if i am on deep pasture sites or on the possibility of a scattered hoard then the SEF15x12 the big fella comes out to play.

The T2 just loves gold coins,just in the last 12 months have found 2 Celtic gold staters 1/4 and full and a drop dead George 111 full Guinea,the T2 is a really versatile machine.

Mainly love it because its simple to operate but also can be sensitive and deep,but the coil options i feel do play a big part when using this machine,while some of my permissions still have stiff stubble after the the crops came of recently is have been using the 'fantastic' little 5'' coil,always blows me away how deep it goes for its size,it also allows me to get close to the ground rather than having to loose say 4-5'' having to go over the stubble with a large coil.Also on some ultra trashy saxon/roman sites the target separation is out of this world.

You brought up a good point about the 5" coil and field stubble. I haven't hunted farm fields in a long time but I do remember that a small coil was a must-have. Now I am reconsidering selling my 5" coil although I could use that money towards the NEL sharpshooter that I am going to order this week. The Boss (wife) will growl a little about my change of plans but she did just order some items from QVC this past weekend.:biggrin:

In the areas I hunt I dig more beaver tails than nickels. Without the ring attached to them they ring up dead nuts nickel. I dont mind, cleans them out for the next hunt, but the overall ratio is about 100-1 or worse haha.