Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Taking detector on airliner

John(Tx)

My hunting partner is going to Miami next week via either Continental or Southwest and was asking me about taking his excal, told him I would ask you guys since I've never done that. Does he check in detector at desk, carry with him or does he need special permission? Thanks, John

I have flew domestic and international with different carriers many times with my detectors and related metal detecting gear and never had any problems. I just remove all the batteries, break them down, wrap them in plastic bags and pack them in between clothes to make sure they are padded and protected well. No permission needed as they could not be used for anything except metal detecting and they are inoperable without batteries anyway! I always take my Lesche with me and so long as it's in the baggage in the hold and not in your carry on, no problem.

8 or 9 round trip domestic flights packing detectors for me. First one, packed one detector in checked luggage and the CZ6A with batteries removed in the fisher CZ case as a carry on. Going one way, the carry on got a lot of questions but then was OK, coming back not a second look at all. Since then I've packed two detectors and a travel scoop in a checked bag, wrapped in some bubble wrap and clothing. Xcal is actually the only one I bubble wrap, to make sure nothing hits the knobs. I've got a knob guard on the Xcal, but still; if the scoop or coil slide with rough luggage handling, something hard might possibly hit a knob if not wrapped. Batteries removed or disconnected and in the checked bag. Make sure battery terminals can not touch anything that might short them out. I put individual batteries or packs in a zip lock bag by itself. I also take a picture of the packed bag and make an inventory list just in case anything goes missing so that I can document a claim. So far, no issues flying with the detectors.

Good luck to your hunting partner!

My friend is always taking her detector on her trips.

Break down and put the electronics and battery in carry on with excalibur. (though not connected)

The shaft in hold.

Batteries especially lithium should always be in carry on not in hold.

Biggest problem is always the scoop depending on type of how to transport.

Lithium Ion batteries in checked baggage are only allowed "in the equipment". No spares in checked. Spares can be carried onboard as long as they have short protection, like a terminal cover.

I travel with my Dual Field all the time and just pack it in with the clothes for protection and check the bag.

Flew down to St. Croix last year and broke down my Fisher CZ6a into a carry-on bag. Had no issues at security or through customs on the return. Take it with you!