Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tale of Three Bullets

Nemo

Hi all:

Wayne Rex and I hunted a field that we had not been to for about 5 years. This was not a campsite but a rifle practice area based upon the distribution of the relic field. Here we found only bullets and little else to indicate anything besides practice was going on there. The field had been terraced and plowed seasonally several times since we were last there. As you might expect there were few finds but we both enjoyed getting out.

I found only 3 bullets (see picture below) but I thought I would take the time to tell their tales. I found 2 .58 caliber Minies and a .54 caliber foreign bullet. Two of the 3 bullets were found within 35 feet of each other according to our GPS measurements.

What weapons did these bullets come from? Closer examination of the bullets at home showed that the two .58s (

I too am working a site, and cataloging and GPS logging everything dug, and am using "Civil War Projectiles II Small Arms & Field Artillery with supplement" to identify what is being found. At this point I am happy to just identify the bullets, and am not even getting as deep as you are to identify which particular rifle they were fired in. My hat is off to you!!! I am logging the find in the GPS, with a unique number for that find, and placing the find into a small zip lock bag with the unique number on a sticker on the bag, then going to my GPS generated map I am also generating a point on the map with the finds number so you can look at the map, go to the bin and retrieve the specific find that you are looking for. I feel like I am on the right track, and no information is being thrown away so there wont be a "knowledge gap" in the future when looking at this site. My inspiration for handling it this way was the video on Custer's last stand, where they used MD's to find casings and bullets, then went to the trouble of checking primer indention's to follow certain rifles around the battlefield. Nice piece of work. HH Joe