Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Target ID number question.

rwsnc

Pennies normal give a TID of 34 or 36. This weekend I decided to dig when I got a solid 30. They turned out to be pennies, to my surprise.

I don't dig everything. That's another issue. I'm primarily interested in coins so I have only been digging nickel, penny, and above, signals.

I was using my stock CC coil and ground balanced at 36. Tracking was on.

What would cause pennies to id at 30, so far from the usual 34, 36 range?

I'll dig 30s from now on, though.

Not unusual for me when hunting in thick Pine duff. The acidic soil does bad things to copper, and doesn't always have the same effect. Sometimes a thick green scale, sometimes major pitting, sometimes a little of both. Oh yeah, and this is one of those crazy places where wheats can be at 2 inches and memorials at 8 inches.:shrug:

HH
BarnacleBill

Those are readings I get from various IH and Wheat cents. A US coin TID chart can be found in the FAQFAQ section at the top of these posts. HH Randy

I have noticed that the wheat and older memorial pennies give a higher ID#? Most of the time the zincs give the 30-32 and older give 34-38? Maybe I need to dig more of the 30#? I will be honest it is very easy not to dig the lower 20's # when you are a coin hunter only. After reading diggers reply, I will have to amke myself dig those numbers. Beale.

Thanks for the replys.

I've seen the TID Chart in the FAQFAQ. In fact, I printed it out and taped it to my arm rest.

I dug up a Colonial Button that came in at 30. I haven't dug any zinc's yet.

It just seemed strange to get that many 30 readings, especially over an area that, at least two people had been over on several occassions. Most were no deeper than 3" and most were found somewhat concentrated in two areas. One area was about 10' x 8' and the other was in an area about 5 x 5.

Were the other people using Icon based detectors? Were the coins in a difficult soil matrix(coal slag, charcoal, iron)?

HH
BarnacleBill

The other guy uses an Ace 250. Both areas are within a few feet of sidewalks that were connected to two recently bulldozed houses.

Possible then that the coins are not falling neatly in the Icon segments of the Ace 250, and are being ignored as trash. I recently saw a statement on another forum that the X70 does not have as much discrimination resolution as a 100 point scale detector. What is not understood by the individual that made the statement is that the X70 scale is not linear or logarithmic, but parametric.

HH
BarnacleBill

I think I'm adding to my own confusion, too. I haven't been using the 9" CC stock coil much. Most of the time I use the 5 x 10 DD and switch off with the 10.5" 7.5 DD.

I've usually had trouble getting the 9" CC stock coil to "settle down". I've always assumed it was due to the heavy mineralization here in my part of NC.

I finally got it through my thick skull to LOWER THE SENSITIVITY SETTING. Since doing so, all coils have settled down and my machine works a lot better, even with the CC coil.

I'm still learning the X70.

Thanks for your help.

But that can work for you or against you!

Da debil made me dood it. :rofl:

OK, OK so we all(you & I), want an ID range magnifying function with adjustable set points for tone break over! I say give us 100 ID points between square nail and foil!!!

And they had better be stable or else!:rant::lol:

Everybody knows "Waders" are the most important segment of detector users........well at least you and I know that!:biggrin:

HH
BarnacleBill

Didn't mean ta get ya all riled up this AM BB! :rofl:

Ah yes.. good descriptive single tone audio. Double beeps on nails, clicks and pops and all that nasty sutff. Jest don't have me digging them dang bobby pins! :rant:

Tom

When I am hunting in an area that may be hiding some IH cents, I dig any consistent TID from 24 - 38. Actually, I dig all consistent TID signals. But the IH cents can come anywhere from 24 to 38, depending on the date of the coin. Seems the older ones (60's and 70's) read the lowest TID. JMHO HH Randy

If I would have went on less then 30 or above 32 I would never have picked these up yesterday along with 46 - 42 ETC... anywhere 1" away from the target and if you want mineralized soil come visit i in the Pacific NW or MW AZ! Grant Now I'm digging everything can anyone Identify this pendent I believer it's perter says Mission Dolores 1976 " then go your way?" cant read the rest the ring is 10K MY first! 1 Small center dmnd 4 smaller dmnds! I'll take it 1942 D and a 38 D a 42S and an unreadable date! wheatie any help with this pendent would be great I think its pewter or lead? I can't fro the life of me fit the coins in th pic Could someone help me figure out Hope to send a pic? I take it and it's 700-900KB'S on my comp. and I don't know how to resize it well heres what I got so far as pics

http://www.sfmission.com/sfbirthplace/

Eighteenth century explorer Juan Batista de Anza, who in 1776, on a journey to explore California at the order of King Carlos, picked the location for the original mission in San Francisco. It was replaced in the 1790s by the current mission, which is the oldest building in the city. The item you found would probably be a bicentennial "token" of that event. JMHO HH Randy

[quote BarnacleBill]Not unusual for me when hunting in thick Pine duff. The acidic soil does bad things to copper, and doesn't always have the same effect. Sometimes a thick green scale, sometimes major pitting, sometimes a little of both. Oh yeah, and this is one of those crazy places where wheats can be at 2 inches and memorials at 8 inches.:shrug:

HH
BarnacleBill[/quote]

Good answer BarnacleBill All evergrees trees,bushes, shrubs, live in acidic soil and it well eat up copper and especially zine pennys which change the id numbers and they dont like nickles also.