Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Target pics from back in my shooting days.

PSS1963

Here are a couple of pics of targets I had put away in my file draw from back in my shooting days in college. We shot competitively on a couple of different circuits . . . first was the local gun clubs (mostly to stay in practice) and the second was the collegiate circuit which for the better shooters (not me) could lead to the Olympic trials. First target is a five shot group, 0.22 cal., 50', slow fire . . . shot at a collegiate match at M.I.T in 1984. The score wasn't particularly high (44/50) but the group was nice - about the size of a nickel - which is why I saved it. The 2nd pic was one of those just-for-fun deals . . . a member of our shooting club brought in a Ruger 0.44 magnum and let me try it out. My buddies were looking through a spotting scope and calling each shot as I fired it - got a little nervous and tossed the last one, but the first 5 (yes, that's five) were pretty decent considering the weapon wasn't sighted in for me and I'd never touched it before - also fired from 50'.

(Dave there is no video from back in the day, so I hope this is sufficient to convince you I wasn't talking out my butt.) :super:

-pete

[attachment 312436 0.22group.jpg]

[attachment 312440 0.44group.jpg]

Man! Those days were really some fun and comraderie! :clapping:

That is one heck of a good group you had going there with the Redhawk! :thumbup: Even good shooters have a hard time putting all six carrots in a washtub at 50' with open sights...I used to reload and shoot a lot, 22-250, .38, .357 etc.....I like the .22 rimfire...I have a good honest little Remington bolt action sporter that is a tack driver, its old and built right...its not a target rifle, but it doesnt know that! Plus I feed it match, so that helps...Some of my friends have really gotten into air rifles, those have sure advanced quite a bit...

If a guy had the right set up and lived out where a fellow could pop off a few rounds without anybody caring, it is an enjoyable and interesting sport...settles a guy down and makes him tinker with things..it is an expensive and time consuming sport if a fellow really gets into it though:thumbup:

Nice to see this post Pete!:please:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Man! Those days were really some fun and comraderie! :clapping:

That is one heck of a good group you had going there with the Redhawk! :thumbup: Even good shooters have a hard time putting all six carrots in a washtub at 50' with open sights...I used to reload and shoot a lot, 22-250, .38, .357 etc.....I like the .22 rimfire...I have a good honest little Remington bolt action sporter that is a tack driver, its old and built right...its not a target rifle, but it doesnt know that! Plus I feed it match, so that helps...Some of my friends have really gotten into air rifles, those have sure advanced quite a bit...

If a guy had the right set up and lived out where a fellow could pop off a few rounds without anybody caring, it is an enjoyable and interesting sport...settles a guy down and makes him tinker with things..it is an expensive and time consuming sport if a fellow really gets into it though:thumbup:

Nice to see this post Pete!:please:
Mud

Thanks Mud! The club had a real sweetheart deal on Remington .22LR for team members and range officers (usually the same kids) to encourage frequent practice - $1.50 for 100 rounds! You can bet your Grannie's bloomers I couldn't shoot a group like that now. I'm thinking it would take about 3 years of frequent practice to get back the level I was at back then.

One reason I think so many folks have trouble getting a tight group is that they use the 2-handed combat stance. This position has two basic problems compared with a 1-handed competition stance . . . first, your front to back stability is compromised because your feet are side to side instead of one directly backward of the other and second, the two hands on the weapon tend to fight each other. Stand sideways to the target and hold the weapon at arm's length and let it settle . . . you'll see your hand move up and down slightly with your heartbeat. Time your shot to this rhythm. It works with .22 and works with .44 magnum - just takes a little longer to get back on target due to the bigger recoil. A heavier weapon is actually an advantage (provided you have reasonable arm strength) because it increases stability and lessens recoil. My competition piece was a High Standard Victor. This one had a really thick heavy barrel with extra weight bolted to the bottom of it - just cause. I think it actually outweighed the .45 colt 1911 semi.

One of the collegiate categories we competed in was air pistol so we had a few of those around to practice with. Our range backstop was built from 1/2" steel plate mounted at 45 degrees, but it front of this was a "visual" backstop made from 2x4 framing with blue cloth stretched over it and stapled. You could see the glint of some of the staples depending on the angle and we used to try to hit these. The .22LR would just drive the staple into the wood, but the air pistols didn't have enough power for that and a good portion of the time the pellet would just bounce off and come right back at ya! Then we made a game out of bouncing the pellets off the wood and trying to hit yourself in the pant leg (they always came back lower and slower than they went out). :rofl:

Those were certainly the days!

-pete

I hunted with a Ruger Security Six .357...I ran 1000's of rounds through it practicing at the range and thought I was pretty good...one day there were a flock of turkeys out about 50' fast trotting in a line through the woods, so I pulled down on the lead gobbler, and killed a small hatchling hen about 3 birds back in the line! :rofl: It was so small it still had eggshell on its head! Boy I got a good teasing from my pals on that one!

I am a horrible shot! Unless coyote hunting and I get a good solid rest off a harris bipod. Thats the money shot on anything of value, I get serious and tend to perform satisfactorally !...

I'm left eye dominant and shoot a rifle right handed, so thats my main problem I figure, I have to close my 'good' eye and cant see dick out of the other!...I shoot bow left handed and instinctive, did some competitive shooting back in late 70's early 80's...shot in carp tournaments from the 80's and up into the 90's in my custom bowfishing boat I built called the "Carp Coffin", always won some money in that!..:lmfao:....I like shooting carp, the look on their face is priceless! :lmfao: I'm fast and natural with the recurve, so I tend to shoot revolver the same way..20' or less and I'm fast and right on! A guy has to know his limits and mines 20'! Thanks for the tips Pete!:thumbup:
Mud

That was good shooting. Back in the 60's I was a pretty fair pistol shooter myself. Nowadays I'm lucky if I can find my pistols!!!