Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TDI Pro Availability

QMaze

Just received the new White's catalog and there is no mention of the TDI Pro, only the SL. Does this make sense?

As far as i am aware they have stopped producing the TDI Pro,well they are no longer available here in the UK,had been seriously looking at buying one 2 years ago but all they had on offer was the 'sl' version with that horrible 'S' shaped shaft,so decided not to buy a Whites PI machine,have 2 other though but not Whites.

There are many ways to still get your hands on a brand new TDI pro if you shop around a little on a particular auction site. The SL is more popular because it is quieter, lighter and there is one less control I believe. But as pointed out, it doesn't come with the good shaft like the Pro and the pro comes with a way better battery, albeit a heavier battery.

In my opinion, the TDI pro is one of the best detectors in existence. I use it for everything now - beach hunting, land hunting. I figured out how to get it to ignore iron and it instantly went from just my beach machine to my everything machine, except of course underwater. If you decide to get one of these great machines, PM me and I'll give you the tips that will make VLFs afraid to follow you.

Thank you for the information. I've been away so long from metal detecting as far as keeping up and I actually thought the TDI Pro was just introduced. As mentioned I hate the S shaft as well which can be quickly fixed but with getting interested again I saw this detector and it looked awesome. I've always wanted the Sovereign GT with the 15" WOT but this one now will be another option.

You can mount the TDI sl control box onto a Anderson straight shaft,which technically can be seen as near a TDI Pro as you could ever get,that is a possibility,but it was to late for me i have all ready bought 2 other PI machines one for deep hoard hunting and the other for ultra fine gold.

QMaze said:
Just received the new White's catalog and there is no mention of the TDI Pro, only the SL. Does this make sense?

Maybe they are coming out with a TDI water proof version for 2016? ....of course I am dreaming

QMaze, I tried to send you a pm about TDI- Pro for sale. Can you give me your email address?

appears everyone is trying to add (upgrade) the 14 volt battery On the TDI SL to get the depth, the TDI Pro gets .......So apparently The bigger the Battery ( more volts) the more depth the PI'S get.

Rob in (Ca) said:
appears everyone is trying to add (upgrade) the 14 volt battery On the TDI SL to get the depth, the TDI Pro gets .......So apparently The bigger the Battery ( more volts) the more depth the PI'S get.

This seems a simplistic solution, else everybody would be stacking lithium discs and finding coins in China. :shrug: :rofl:

-pete

Rob in (Ca) said:

The SL has a weaker stock battery and one of the three filters isn't as good, meaning it has to be swung slower than the pro. The pro can be swung a little faster before you notice depth loss. The SL can take up to 16 volts, the pro can take up to 20 volts (no load voltages). Both of these voltages are ridiculously high for a typical recreational metal detector (compare to say an ACE 250 that runs on 6 volts). The TDIs are power hogs, put them in straight pulse mode and you will see what they do with that power. I just recently purchased the Reidman battery for my tdi pro (20 volts) and compared it to the stock whites battery. The conclusion was that the depth increase was not significant, but evident nonetheless. I purposefully buried a dime on the edge of detection so that the whites battery would only hit it in one direction. The reidman battery would hit it in both directions. In theory, a higher voltage battery also adds stability, but this is not readily tested as depth is. I have predicted that with different settings (more GEB) and a true mono coil, the difference in depth between the two batteries would be accentuated.

Reg's quiet mods for the TDI and TDI pro detectors no longer give the SL the distinct advantage of quietness. With the existence of these mods, the advantage of the SL is now price and weight, not performance. However, you will throw much of the weight advantage of the SL out when you upgrade the battery. Just my opinion, but go big or go home - get the pro.

Scallops